How to clean watering system nozzles

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoof

Kung Fu Chinny!
I've been asked how to do this a couple of times so made a video.

First, take them apart -> Video

Then throw them in a cup or container full of vinegar, I use apple cider vinegar. If they are as bad as the one in the video soak them overnight.

Then shake/stir them vigorously to knock as much crud off as you can. Throw them in a quart pot with some water and boil them for at least five minutes to kill everything. By now they should look like new.

With these older ones there are two different types of diaphragms, you can mix and match everything except these, keep them with their original base. You can get replacement parts from agselect.com :))

Attachments

• NozzleRubberTypes.jpg
    NozzleRubberTypes.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 56
You're welcome. :))

Three common methods to running the lines;

-Running a feed line across the top and drop down. I use this and attached a picture.
-Drop strait down the side with feed lines across each row. Each row should be slanted slightly down.
-The S run. This method works best if you want to flush the lines and not remove them.

It is a good thing to put a shutoff at the top and at the bottom. You will be sucking on the bottom and it is easer to do that with a shutoff than a nozzle. You can also find small hand pumps to use.

At the top I use standoffs to force the lines 3" away from the cages.

You do need to clean watering systems. You can flush them or tear them down and replace them. I keep a spare set of nozzles and pre-cut line to swap and clean lines.

You can use a static tank like in the photo or a tank with a float that gets steady water.

Attachments

• WaterLines.jpg
    WaterLines.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 63
Do you flush the lines out with anything in particular? Or do you add anything to your water to help maintain a clean water system?

Very nice to see your setup - I will be putting my system in this fall. A bit nervous about it but I want to give it a try.

I keep my tanks away from the lights and run the water through a couple of large water filters and a Pur. With no light you won't get any growth in the tanks. With blue light and clear tanks you will get growth in 3-4 weeks and do need to clean them weekly or bi-weekly to keep algae from forming. The lighter your barn is the faster you will get growth.

Some people use collidal silver or bleach to flush every six months or yearly. I've also heard some add collidal silver weekly to keep the bacteria from growing but I have not tried that. There are other commercial things you can add to the water too, perhaps someone who has tried them can speak up.

I did try apple cider vinegar but it didn't seem to do anything.

IMPORTANT NOTE:Common sense but figured I would mention it - all systems need to breathe to allow water to flow so if you plumb/tap your own buckets remember to drill an air hole in the top. Otherwise it creates a seal and no water will come out.

Great tutorial. It's people like you that make learning this stuff a lot easier. Your making pets live better lifes and we appreciate your input and time setting this stuff up.

Back