Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucksAngel28

Ashley
Forelimb amputation for treatment of a peripheral nerve sheath tumor in an African pygmy hedgehog.
Martin, Kacie K.; Johnston, Matthew S.
Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association Vol. 229 Issue 5

Case Description—A 6-year-old female African pygmy hedgehog was evaluated because of a mass of unknown duration on the lateral aspect of the right shoulder region.

Clinical Findings—A fine-needle aspirate of the mass was collected for cytologic examination; findings were consistent with a spindle cell tumor. A CBC, plasma biochemical analyses, and whole-body radiography revealed no other abnormalities.

Treatment and Outcome—An initial surgery performed in an attempt to remove the mass with preservation of the limb failed in that tumor-free surgical margins were not obtained. Histologically, the mass was identified as a peripheral nerve sheath tumor (neurofibrosarcoma). A second surgery to amputate the forelimb was successful. After 1 year, there had been no further development of peripheral nerve sheath tumor at this or other sites.

Clinical Relevance—In African pygmy hedgehogs, potential differential diagnoses for a subcutaneous mass should include peripheral nerve sheath tumor. If necessary, forelimb amputation can be performed successfully in this species with procedures modified from those used in dogs. Information gathered during the treatment and recovery of the hedgehog of this report may assist practicing veterinarians in counseling owners of hedgehogs that are undergoing forelimb amputation with regard to the course of recovery that may be expected following this procedure. [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]

Hmm... that's very interesting. Did the author have it published?

I'm a journal article junkie.

So am I! ;) It was in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association (Vol. 229 Issue 5). What I posted is just the abstract. I don't know how to link to the whole article since I access the journals through a database offered by my university (Academic Search Premier) and I think it would cost money to access for those not in college. But, I guess you could try the journal's site directly.

ETA: I like the articles in this journal because they offer functional advice you can take with you to the vet if your hedgie is sick that just might save their little lives (the part I highlighted).

Back