What is the correct cage for a 3 month old chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurajane92

My chin is just over three months old and I have him in a ferret nation style cage with 5 levels and a hammock. He has been sleeping in the hammock at the top of the cage and has levels/stairs to get on and off and is doing fine with it/hasn’t been running jumping around too much and usually just stays on either the bottom where his chinchiller/hide out is or the top with his hammock. I have read online today that at this age they should still not have many ledges. Should I take some off him? I am unsure about what to do would like to know everybodies experiences) thx

I don't think that is too young for ledges, but make sure they are close together and there is no way of falling more then about 6 inches. I do think that he might be too young to have such a big cage though, depending on the actual size is it possible to close off half like you can with a double unit ferret nation cage? Too much room to run around in the cage can be just as bad as allowing out of cage playtime for a young chin.

Also you said "ferret nation style", what is the bar spacing? A chin under 6 months can possibly still be small enough that the 1" bar spacing is too wide and they can escape, or even get stuck in the bars trying to escape.

I don't think that is too young for ledges, but make sure they are close together and there is no way of falling more then about 6 inches. I do think that he might be too young to have such a big cage though, depending on the actual size is it possible to close off half like you can with a double unit ferret nation cage? Too much room to run around in the cage can be just as bad as allowing out of cage playtime for a young chin.

Also you said "ferret nation style", what is the bar spacing? A chin under 6 months can possibly still be small enough that the 1" bar spacing is too wide and they can escape, or even get stuck in the bars trying to escape.

Hello.
He now has two ledges that are at either side and a hammock which is hanging just above the floor. He got on with the set up for a while and is now bar climbing the cage which is about 5ft tall. I got this cage from the person that I bought him from. I’m considering a new cage but don’t know what size or which one to get until he grows older. The bar spacing is very small, I can’t fit my finger past it and whenever he presses up to the bars his nose only just fits through it so he would not be able to escape.

For a kit I would buy him a smaller, shorter cage. Something like a single unit critter nation would work well. If you want a cage he can grow into I would get a Critter Nation double unit, but close off half for now until he is bigger. You do need to change some things, cover or replace the plastic pans and remove the ramp (not chin safe). Also add more ledges, perches, and stuff.

If I understand you right you are saying he falls 5 feet!? That is very dangerous, with a cage that high you need to overlap ledges, shelves, and hammocks so he can't fall far. Until you get a new cage I would add lots and lots more ledges and/or shelves.

Back