Hawaii Chin Owners

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

808chindad

It's a fact that Hawaii has one of the highest costs of living in the United States. However, if you're going to be a chin owner in Hawaii DO NOT skimp on the necessities for these particular pets. I have seen other forums (not necessarily this one) where Hawaii chin owners try to get around the AC issue by using alternate forms of cooling chins. UNACCEPTABLE! If you own chins, AC IS REQUIRED especially in the 808 state with it's year round high temps and humidity. Another issue was the lack of regularly scheduled medical exams. I asked a few owners in the past on the Hawaii Craigslist on how often they took their chins to the vets. ALL of them said they hadn't taken their chins to the vets ever. Living in a high cost state has its challenges but these pets shouldn't have to suffer the consequences when chin owners are unwilling to make financial sacrifices for their pet. Sorry guys, I had to rant.

Unless there is something about Hawaii that causes medical issues for chins there, I don't agree that chins need regular vet checks. I honestly think in most cases it can cause more harm then good to take it in for no reason. My chins only go to the vet if medically necessary, they don't require any vaccinations, they shouldn't be exposed to other animal's illnesses inside your home (by bringing it to a vet you are potentially exposing it other animals and to illnesses), they are not prone to cancers or any other disease if care for properly, and going for car rides and to the vet are stressful for most chinchillas. Most people, not just in Hawaii, never bring their chins to the vet, and have been lucky enough never to need to for it's whole life. I don't think it's a matter of being unwilling, it's more a matter of is the risk of stressing my chin out and exposing it to illnesses worth taking it in to see the vet if nothing is wrong with it? Some people think it is, personally I don't.

I do agree with having a good size savings (I advise a couple thousand dollars), credit card, or something in place in the event the chin does need to go though. I also think you should find a vet, and ideally more then one, before you need one as well.

Amethyst, that's a good point on frequency and having the added stress on the chins. I apologize for not being more specific or not wording my problem better. However, it still doesn't justify these owners who rehome to not have any information on their chins health. I just found it very odd that not one of the 5 people I asked had not brought their chins in for an exam. In my opinion, they should have had an exam done to satisfy the curiosity of potential/prospective new owners. It would have been nice to know if I needed to prepare for future issues had the chins been identified with previous dental work, etc. But, as always, I am grateful for your perspective.

The only time I've taken chinchillas to a vet was the handful of incidents of 2 fighting and I think one cut itself on a chewed section of a silver surfer wheel before it was replaced. Most of the time though I don't even find the antibiotics frequently given with injuries necessary. Even when there is some sign of infection starting they do better with topical treatment and reduced stress than the strain on the GI tract and adding stress with a vet visit just to peer at a wound I already cleaned up.

Stress really seems to send chins downhill faster than any illness or injury. They don't recover as well from those other things and they get them a lot more often if they are not calm and comfortable. They also can quit eating or suffer digestive issues. That can be fatal.

Honestly they do better with some simple care at home than a vet visit for us but it does depend on your experience level. I did take veterinary classes for awhile but most of my specifics were on horses. Aside from that I've had probably well over a dozen different species of small animals. I haven't gone a year of my life without something from south american degus, guinea pigs, and chinchillas to african duprasi and multimammates (soft furs) to sugar gliders and right now our sights are set on southern flying squirrels. Try to find a glider vet 15-20years ago.... :rolleyes:

Back