Suplament

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chin_Pig

i was wondering if there are recipes for making your own supplement?
or would it be easier to just buy it from Ryersons or someone like them that sells it?

and is there a difference in product for feeding preg. females over the whole crew or does that matter?

I have also wondered this. I currently use Lifeline, but would love to make something on my own. I am near a Whole Foods which pretty much carries everything I would need to make a supplement, I'm just not sure what and how much is needed of each ingredient.

It is easiest to just buy it especially for a few chinchillas. most of the ingriedents can only be bought in bulk. And IMPO nothing beats lifeline and ryersons supplement anyway

Lifeline is just so good that if you got that, keep this. You know, that supplement was created after a long long research done by Dawnna, so I don't think you could get that again quickly. Just buy it, so much simpler.

Lifeline is NOT a supplement. Critical Care is a food supplement. Lifeline is not.

A supplement we are talking about here is made of oats, sometimes flax seeds, and other grains. It is usually given 1/2-1 teaspoon per chin per day. This is for underweight chins, pregnant chins (some people) a treat, or other reasons breeders or owners may find fit. Healthy chins do not need any supplement or treats, IMO.

Lifeline is a boost of probiotics, bee pollen, and a bunch of other good stuff that helps a sick chin get their appetite back and helps them feel better, especially for tummy upset. It is also good for food changes. It tastes great and usually helps them get to eating again. You give about 1/4 teaspoon every day, which could hardly supplement a feeding.

Well I use barley, rolled oats (like oatmeal but not instant oatmeal) flax seed, and wheat germ. I know there's one other but I can't for the life of me remember. I use it very sparingly and mainly just as their nightly treat. My chinchillas know if they don't get their "treat".

Oats, barley, crushed rosehips, probiotics, and some herbs are common 'supplement' formulas.

Well I use barley, rolled oats (like oatmeal but not instant oatmeal) flax seed, and wheat germ. I know there's one other but I can't for the life of me remember. I use it very sparingly and mainly just as their nightly treat. My chinchillas know if they don't get their "treat".
What are the benefits/negatives of these?

Well flax seed is a good form of omega-3 the wheat germ has vitamin e and folic acid and I used the whole grain oats so it's good fiber and probably their favorite part. I eat all the same things as well during the day because they are just as good for people. Actually I never would have ate them if I never got my chinchillas so in a way the chins made me healthier.

I got the recipe from I believe it's chinchillaworld.com awhile ago and have been using it ever since. I have not read of any negative effects except that you can not overfeed because more is not better for chinchillas. That's not to say that there might not be but there hasn't been any negative effects in mine and our girl has been on it for months and has shown no negative changes. Ours get a 1/2 tablespoon daily we offer half as a treat and half in a seperate feeding dish.

So far mine are happy and healthy both were vet checked recently by our vet, who does see chins on a fairly regular basis and is knowledgeable on them.

I have been mixing my own supplement for our chins for years now. I received the ingredient list from a trusted friend and it has worked out well. I don't find it to be expensive at all and I can find all what I need at two different stores. It will get expensive if you start to put various things into it that are not common and need to be ordered online.

Lifeline is NOT a supplement. Critical Care is a food supplement. Lifeline is not.

A supplement we are talking about here is made of oats, sometimes flax seeds, and other grains. It is usually given 1/2-1 teaspoon per chin per day. This is for underweight chins, pregnant chins (some people) a treat, or other reasons breeders or owners may find fit. Healthy chins do not need any supplement or treats, IMO.

Lifeline is a boost of probiotics, bee pollen, and a bunch of other good stuff that helps a sick chin get their appetite back and helps them feel better, especially for tummy upset. It is also good for food changes. It tastes great and usually helps them get to eating again. You give about 1/4 teaspoon every day, which could hardly supplement a feeding.

Sorry, didn't use the right term :eek: Language and semantic problems loll

I use lifeline several times a week for all my animals. I mix it into the ryerson suppliment. Dawnna joined here she is eskiemom her website is chocolatechinchillas.com

Back