Why no fruits and veggies?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash

Trouble....
I know there used to be a really good thread on this, but can't find it in the cache. So... What is the technical reason behind no fruits and veggies? I know it was something with chins being hind-gut fermenters and stuff.

If chins aren't used to having fresh fruit/veggies, the extra water in them can cause them some pretty yucky digestive issues. I know there are people who feed them regularly, and that in other countries, it may be the norm, but most of the chins here in the US are not used to this in their diet, and so it can really throw off their delicate digestive systems.

Yeah, but the sugars in them can also create havoc on their digestive systems, even in those chins that are fed them for long periods of time, because they're not made to digest them. But there was a thread with the technicalities of it.

Yes, fruits and veggies are high in sugar. A high sugar uptake will upset the delicate balance of bacterial flora within the hindgut of the animal. Disturbing this basically screws up the digestion/fermentation of fiber and cellulose, one of the main components of a chin's diet.

I mentioned water mainly b/c I figured in fresh fruit, that's the main difference from dried fruit (which many chin owners have and still do give chins as treats).

Sugar is a whole different issue, too, and sometimes hot topic at that. I will say that we used to give dried pineapple and/or papaya cubes here on the advice of several formerly well-known and respected chin people and advocates, but have discontinued this practice several years ago now. :)

I don't know why you shouldn't give them. When we got our first chin we were told raisins were ok and she loves them but than when we got Freddy the breeder said NO raisins and no treats. He mentioned a few things like shredded wheat and stuff but he warned us against using raisins or fruits so we stopping giving them to our girl and she's still mad about it.

I don't know why you shouldn't give them. When we got our first chin we were told raisins were ok and she loves them but than when we got Freddy the breeder said NO raisins and no treats. He mentioned a few things like shredded wheat and stuff but he warned us against using raisins or fruits so we stopping giving them to our girl and she's still mad about it.

Chinchillas don't need treats and if anything treats are for the enjoyment of the owner.

A question, slightly off topic, but does anyone know right off hand what a chin would be eating in the wild? I know domesticated chins aren't the same, but what would be the typical diet in their homeland?

Well, all fruits have sugar content. If a chin were to recieve a large amount of suagr (or any sugar that their stomach isn't used to), results can often times be fatal. Seizures (I think), high blood sugar, upsets the stomach, etc.

Vegetables, however, can be worse. If a chin is given a large amount of vegetables (each chinchilla is different, but I wouldn't risk it), can result in gass build up, bloat (don't quote me on that. I haven't read about this stuff in a while =/), too much water, and again, upset the digestive system.

I've heard a few things that papya and pineapple can destroy some of the hairs that go through the digestive system (however, that theory is being proven false) and that papaya is a good source of vit. C.

Rosehips are also a good source of Vitamin C, if I recall. Also, chins aren't known for getting 'hairballs' so feeding them papaya and such fo it, is just a "pffft" statement.

Back