Chinchilla dominance

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket290

Hello, my chinchilla continues to assert dominance over me (how I see it). Occasionally he'll attempt to hump my forearm, which according to online resources is a form of dominance. Is this an issue? He also nibbles my hand as well, but I'm unaware if this is to assert dominance. I usually just allow him to nibble me.

It's more likely the chin just likes you and is feeling a bit horny, especially if he is young (from your other posts he is 6.5 months right?). At around 4-6 months until about a year old they go through puberty, so that behavior is totally normal (think teenage boy). Some chins benefit from a cuddle buddy, basically a stuffed toy that they can redirect their "needs" to.

Nibbling is a sign of affection, if it's light nibbling not actually biting, he is grooming you. Chins will groom others in their herd as a form of bonding, you pet or scratch him and he lightly nibbles you back.

Maybe this chin is just excited, I think he likes you and there's nothing to worry about.

Back