Okay to eat loofah?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idgie

Chin Geek
My two previous chins never cared for loofah. But my new chin, Ripley, wants to eat it. I cut her a small slice, but she doesn't seems to be shredding it. She thinks that it is a treat. She is only 5 months old, so I don't really want her eating it at all now. But is it okay when she gets older to let her eat it in small amounts? Thanks.

Since loofah is just plant material (the inside of a gourd thing) it's fine to eat, it adds fiber to the diet. For a kit I would just kept it to just one slice a week though. For my guys I limit it only because it would be expensive if I didn't. I add a few slices to the hanging toys when I make new ones, but some people even give their chins whole ones, not just slices (minus the seeds of course).

Since loofah is just plant material (the inside of a gourd thing) it's fine to eat, it adds fiber to the diet. For a kit I would just kept it to just one slice a week though. For my guys I limit it only because it would be expensive if I didn't. I add a few slices to the hanging toys when I make new ones, but some people even give their chins whole ones, not just slices (minus the seeds of course).

Thanks!

I only give them loofah in chew toys, mainly hanging ones. Sometimes I reuse old toilet/kitchen roll devoid of glue, hide some hay or alfafa in it and tie a slice of loofah at both ends as a top and bottom.

I ocationally give my chins a little piece of loofah sponge as a treat. they like it and still healthy.

As it turns out, Ripley doesn't care about the loofah at all. Just sits in her cage ignored. Funny how each chin has their favorite things.

Back