Oxbow no longer available at Petsmart?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smidgeyy

I'm currently on the phone trying to figure this out... But the food is no longer at any of the stores nearby and it's not online either. I thought perhaps it was out of stock in my stores and I was just unlucky, but I panicked when I saw it wasn't online as well.

It's still available on other sites but I wanted to avoid shipping costs if possible. >.<

Edit: So that phone call didn't get me anywhere. They took my information and said they would see if they can have it shipped to my store or they'd find out why/whether they've stopped carrying it or not. I don't know when I'll hear from them about it but hopefully it's soon.

Last edited:
I wonder why PetSmart discontinued the chinchilla food. They still had food for all the other small animals. That's bizarre! I've been ordering from drsfostersmith.com for about a year now and they have a free shipping special running right now.

Last edited:
Not at Pet Food Express either. I wrote this letter--

To whom it may concern,

Today I went in like I have every week or so for many years to pick up supplies for my animals. I have relied on Pet Food Express for pretty much all my pets' food, litter, toys, and supplements since I moved to the Bay in 2009. I really love the customer service and selection.
But today I found out that though you continue to carry Oxbow products, you stopped carrying the main staple for my chinchilla's diet: Oxbow Essentials Chinchilla pellets. The staff tried their best, saying they might be able to special order a bag that would arrive in a month or more, but by then Takkun would be an ex-chinchilla.
The food that your stores carry instead (now the only chinchilla food) is Charlie Chinchilla Tasty Mix, which according to the bag encourages "natural foraging" and it's basically candy. The "natural foraging" means that it encourages the behavioral problem called "selective eating" and has been linked to congestive heart failure, diabetes, and GI stasis in small animals. I find this to be fundamentally misaligned with Pet Food Express' stated goal of providing premium brands, holistic, and organic pet food.
Simply put, I'd like to remain a faithful customer but if you cannot provide wholesome food for my pet, it's unlikely that I will continue to shop at your store for anything else, and I imagine that's the case for many others.
I hope that this is a miscommunication with your vendor that gets sorted out before the ingrained buying patterns of this portion of your customer base changes forever.

Sincerely,

zuchinno

from what iv heard its not discontinued but its being repackaged. And possibly a new name as well (cant recall atm).

Just a possibility, but has anyone compared the Oxbow Rabbit to the Manna Pro Sho or the Purina Rabbit Chow Show?? I know these two are often fed to chinchillas. I feed Blue Seal Rabbit Show Hutch Deluxe mixed with the Purina formula to my nine chinchillas who love it. It just seems that I see more of the Oxbow Rabbit in stores but not the chinchilla formula.

I've also found Petsmart here and Amazon both are out of oxbow chinchilla food... I hope I don't have to switch foods, but I was able to find one bag at a local store so I have about a 2 month supply before I have to worry.

From what iv heard, oxbox chin pellets are being repackaged and undergoing a name change to Essentials Chinchilla Pellets. The pellets themselves are supposed to remain the same tho.

The sizes offered are changing too. The 5lbs bag is being discontinued. And it is being replaced with a 3lbs bag.

From what iv heard, oxbox chin pellets are being repackaged and undergoing a name change to Essentials Chinchilla Pellets. The pellets themselves are supposed to remain the same tho.

The sizes offered are changing too. The 5lbs bag is being discontinued. And it is being replaced with a 3lbs bag.

Who the heck needs a 3lb bag??? That'll barely cover a single chin for a month. Ugh!

Purina Rabbit Chow Show Formula is basically the same as Oxbow Chinchilla. You can't get it at pet stores, but feed stores sell it in 50 pound bags. Also, many members on her sell it and it is cheaper to order it from them and pay the shipping than it is to buy the Oxbow chinchilla (if you can find it).

I was noticing the same pattern as everyone else when prepping to order off Amazon and checking other retail sites.

Luckily, PetSmart has the new version in stock at a retail store. Total of 5 bags with a shelf price tag with a big NEW label on it, $18 for 3lbs. I usually order 5lb bags off Amazon for $9.39 :(

I order mine from chewy.com. It was less than $40 for a 25lb bag, and I add treats and stuff to the order anyway, so I almost always get free shipping (orders over $49 I think).

Back