Are there any 'softer' pellets for chinchillas?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

A few months ago my chinchilla stopped eating his favourite pellets (Science Selective Chinchilla). I noticed how he had trouble eating them because he left a lot of crumbles after his meals and he reached with his paw to his mouth. He was diagnosed with malocclusion 10 years ago (he's 13 years old) so I know it's serious, but he's so energic and I don't want to put him down when he's happy and playful like this.

I'm feeding him mixed pellets with water, from a plate. Around 3 times a day. He's always hungry though and gets stressed when I walk past the cage, like he wants me to feed him.

Are there any softer pellets out there I could try so I don't have to mix them with water? I'm giving him a supplemental food (Complete Crock Chinchilla & Degu) which are softer and he loves that, but I'm guessing they're more like treats.

Any ideas? Thanks a lot for reading!

Can you get Beaphar? A lot of folks with dental chins use this as it's easier for them to chew. I've used it for chins after surgery and they love it.

http://www.beaphar.com/

You can also try Blue Seal Rabbit Show Hutch Deluxe. It is an extruded ball shaped pellet that is easily chewed and available in local feed stores. You can go through the Dealer site on Blue Seal's home site to find it nearest you. There are also a few folks who sale smaller quantities in the supplier listing here on CNH. Since you only have one chin, you may want to buy it from these suppliers as they will sell in smaller quantities since I see you have one chin, the feed stores only sell it by 50#bag.

Back