How exactly do i gradually change my chin's type of food?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droksie

So i bought a chinchilla from a pet store 2 months ago and all is going good except the fact that the food they recommended is not optimal for chinchillas.
Fist of all its not in pellet form and it has fruit in in (dried bananas and such).
It was really hard to find a good pellet food for my chin but in the end i found one, problem is i replaced his old unhealthy food with the good pellets but he refuses to eat them. To my understanding i should have gradually switched the food but how exactly should i proceed?

Also he eats his hay/alfalfa and drinks water so he is healthy.

If it's truly crappy food (which it sounds like), I wouldn't have done it gradually. I would have done a cold switch to a good quality feed. Just be sure to provide some good quality hay and fresh water.

As long as he is eating hay and drinking, he's okay. Keep an eye on his weight and give him time to adjust. You took away his candy and he wants it back.

I love how you put that tunes! Their candy is such a perfect way to describe it. For what it is worth, I cold turkeyed my new girls off bad food and we are still sulking. But I just moniter the poop levels and water intake- as long as they are eating hay drinking and pooping I'm comfortable waiting them out for a while. Giving in will teach them sulking works imho.

Good luck!

Back