Calf manna formula change?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luciole

I've been giving my chinchillas a few calf manna pellets each day for a few years. Back in January, I ordered a couple bulk pounds from an online vendor and was sent a product that seemed "different" --it was very light red in color and lacked the unmistakeable anise scent of calf manna. My chins wouldn't eat it so I asked the vendor about it and was sent a replacement that better resembled what I had been buying for years (i.e. dark red pellets smelling of anise). I assumed that the earlier package was just Animax sent by mistake. However, I just bought a 10 lb bag of calf manna in its original bag (from a different vendor) and again received pale, maroon-colored pellets with no anise scent. Because it is in its original package, there is no chance that I received Animax by mistake.

What is going on? Whatever it is I'm receiving, my chins don't like it at all.

By chance was the bag damaged? Calf manna gets lighter in color and the smell diminishes as it gets old or left out opened for awhile. I bought some a couple of months ago from Tractor Supply and it was normal.

Hi and thanks for replying.

There is no damage to the bag. The manufacture date is 6/09/15 which is fresher than the January pellets that I have left (and the chins still love).

Dawn,

I called Manna Pro and the representative told me that it sounded like the anise wasn't added to that particular batch. (Apparently anise seed gives the pellets the dark red color, too.) She was really helpful and is sending me a refund check. I'll check with the tractor supply website you mentioned to see when their current bags were made (so I don't get the same batch) and possibly order from them.

Good to know that the formula hasn't changed. My chins would be really PO'd if it had.

Thanks for your help.

Hmmm...that's very interesting to know (about the anise seed) :) I don't use CalfManna here but it's not out of the question so something to keep in memory.

On that note, Manna Pro is generally very good about customer service. I've had to call them several times about issues I've had with their PRO rabbit feed over the years that I used it. To be honest, their quality control is not nearly as good as their customer service. I did end up switching...but any time I DID have a problem, they tried to make it right.

Back