Puff who doesn't like hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elaina_marie1

Hi everyone, I have a 2 year old female who doesn't like hay 😫 I've tried all different kinds and she always snubs it. I leave hay in the cage, as the other puff likes it and change it to make sure it's fresh but she wants no parts of it. I do know that it is essential that they get hay for the nutrients, so my question is what can I do? Is there a hay that you would reccomend? Or maybe something I can supplement in her diet to make up for the nutrients she isn't getting? Anything will help! Just want my chins to be happy and healthy! :hmm:

what helped me on mine other than trying a few brands was to get the herb type treats they are allowed and mix them in the hay a bit, that way they have to try a bit of everything to get to the nice smelling stuff..

Been there!

Mine loves his pellets butI never see him eat lots of hay.

I'm eagerly awaiting fuzziekingdom foraging hay right now!
It has some great reviews *ticklechin follower!*
and the good word on the street says it will be available Summertime :-D

In the meantime Ive been mixing in some of Ronda's herb mix. With the mix, my picky guy seems to be eating a little bit more hay.

The Pellets are made of hay so I'm not overtly concerned about him eating the stalky stuff.
I'm a self proclaimed helicopter mom, too :-D

Haha love how you refer to chin as a puff.
that's awesome!

Thanks so much! I'll have to look around online and keep my eyes open for the foraging hay. And thanks lol, I call them my puffs all the time :)

When I have a chin that doesn't want to eat hay I take a gallon sized baggie, put a pinch or two of mint leaves in it with a handful or two of hay. Let it sit over night. The next day I pull the hay out (which now smells like mint) and give it to them. I've never had a chin not eat "mint flavored" hay.

The 'mint flavored' hay sounds yummy. I 'll have to try that for my chin. Just wanted to add a comment about hay. Because Bentley (my chin) has the beginnings of a spur on his molar my vet told me to withhold all treats and cut down on pellets so my chin is kinda forced to eat more hay. I didn't realize that hay is more than just nutrition, it's important fiber and chewing hay helps keep teeth worn down and healthy.

Now I'm trying not to anxiously watch his hay intake and I'm even thinking about offering other hay and/or hay cubes. Besides the mint, are there any good ways to increase a chin's hay consumption?

I always feed timothy hay. But, I also give small amount of different types of hay every day with their normal amount of timothy. I use alfalfa, meadow grass, orchard grass and blue grass. You can also try different brands.

Mine went through the same thing. However, once I started finding out all the different hays out there that existed, I was able to finally find one that they liked. But, I was a little nervous in trying different types because nutritionally I didn't know where they stood and therefore if it would be good enough for them. This hay guide breaks all the basics down and was very useful when scouting around. Goodluck :)

Back