odd colored hedgehog

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

I have a hedgehog that looks cinnamon or cinnacot out of 2 snowflakes who has a dark nose. Not just brown but a black face and ears. She hated the camera flash and wouldn't let me get a photo of her face but it looks just like a salt and pepper.

The quills I can see seem a lot like a champagne or apricot (of course, lighting may change that). Looks like the quills are lightly banded... with a few plain whites tossed in. But no pinto-ing.

She seems small, but that might just be an illusion because she's balled-up. I'm wondering if is she a baby? Colors can change with quilling. So, if she's still young, she may not have arrived at her final color destination yet. How old is she?

See if you can spend a bit more time with her to get a good shot of her little eyes, nose, and mask. If you're in a well-lit room, you may be able to forgo the scary flash. Also, when you look at her skin (whether we're talking beneath the quills or where her fur grows - belly, legs, feet...), is there any mottling?

The color and texture of her poop is a little concerning - a bit watery and off in color. Keep your eye on that!!

She's a baby. I'm off on my date of when they were born. Sunoo hid them away in silence so I'm not certain her age. Probably 6 weeks. I'm told they often go through a little diarrhea when weaning which they are and she is nervous about being out and poops everywhere for the first 10 mins. Her poop in her cage is normal or at least mostly normal. My husband cleans the cages and hasn't noticed smeared poop like when the others were sick and had diarrhea.

Her ears and skin are black. I didn't notice any mottling. She dives away or becomes an instant ball as soon as she sees the camera.

Ah, okay... at ~6 weeks, I'd give her a bit of time for color to settle... Particularly until after the quilling that should start up in a couple weeks. Give her plenty of snuggles until then and, hopefully, she'll become less camera shy!

Her mask has faded away and I can see a cinnamon band on her head spikes. The body is kind of hard to tell. It looks like faded cinnamon overall. Cinnacot?

Based on a "faded cinnamon," I'd be guessing cinnacot or apricot. Has she become any less camera shy?

Well I got her to ignore the camera but in the playpen she runs around with her head spikes up so you can't see her face. On my hand I can get her face sticking all the way out but then she almost over balances because she's too big for my hand. So here's the best I could do. The pic in the sink is not shadows. She actually goes from obvious cinnamon to barely visible bars as you go down her body. It makes her darker at one end than the other. Her head bars are very dark and her butt ones are the lightest tan.

Back