How to fatten up a mama chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
I just got a female who had a litter 10 weeks ago, and was back-bred. According to the previous owner, she lost a lot of weight after the first pregnancy, but was separated from her mate too late to prevent another litter. She is eating good quality chinchilla pellets, fresh Timothy hay, and fresh Alfalfa, but is still small. I want to ensure that she puts on plenty of weight this pregnancy. Any supplement/treat/food suggestions would be much appreciated!

Just keep doing what you are doing, with quality pellets, hay and fresh water. It takes time for them to get their weight back on.
You can maybe get some lifeline from chocolate chinchilla. It can only help.

Lifeline is sometthing I have never tried but so many people swear by it, Michelle...I am going to order some and can order extra for you and send it to you if you want....

Fuzzies kingdom also has a weight gain supplement but I think she is closed until the first of August...I use her herbs and lactation supplement and swear by it....

We have two different supplements that we use. One is for growth and weight gain. The other is for general health. We DO NOT use the weight gain for pregnant females as it often makes the fetus too large for an easy delivery. Once the mother has littered we will feed the growth/lactation until the babies are weaned and then we go back to the general health.

Thanks everyone! I discovered Honey Bear Chinchillas, who sell supplements and herbs at really good prices. They have a weight gain supplement as well as a lactation supplement, and something they call "Chinnie Crack". All have been highly recommended to me, so I'm going to order from them. I'll wait until mama delivers before giving her the weight gain supplement, as JoAnne suggested; I don't want her struggling to deliver oversized kits!
Danderson, LMK how you like "Lifeline"!

I personally can say that JoAnne's growth supplement works wonders. I have been feeding it to my little "button" and although he is still small for his age, he is deffinatly growing and starting to catch up to my other kits.

I got a sample from Honey Bear with a different order and my boys loved the chinnie crack. We don't regularly feed a supplement so they had it as a treat once a week. I've also gotten wood from Tricia (owner of Honey Bear) before. Originally I was going to pick it up when I was travelling near her, but she had a emergency come up and ended up shipping it to me and she even covered the shipping. I'll definitely order from her in the future, and try to pick it up so I can see her BD's and Lockens in person :)

Back