Chin Stopped Eating

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breevass

I'm not sure if Athena was eating too much before or not enough now.. She usually eats at least a bowl of food a day. She's not overweight and gets a lot of exercise, but the past few days she hasn't touched her food. I changed it out completely hoping that it just seemed "old" to her, but she just hopped over, dumped it out, and hopped away. We stopped giving her treats completely, except for her daily Papaya pill (used for digestion, she's had really bad tummy problems, most likely from eating the wrong foods in her previous home), but she still refuses to eat. I even stopped dusting the "missing link" powder that a vet suggested for her, in hopes she just didn't want it. She has an endless supply of timothy hay, which she does nibble on. Has anyone else had this problem ? We've had her in our home, same environment for a year now. So it's not an adjusting factor. Any suggestions ?

I have a 14 mo old female who can go for a day or two and hardly seems to touch her pellets. She will go through several bowls of timothy hay. Then the next morning her pellets dish will be empty. I have tried to stop worrying as she has plenty of energy and I'm still sweeping up poop.:thumbsup:

If she is eating the hay, that is good. What kind of food do you feed her? Any other changes? Lethargy, drooling...still passing a lot of poos? If this is sudden, and has lasted a few days, I would be weighing her, to see if she is losing weight, and I would take her to a chin knowledgeable vet and get her checked out to see if there are teeth reasons or gut reasons for her not to eat.

What is the papaya pill? I know that dried papaya caused my chinchilla to get soft poops that took a vet visit to fix. Because of this I am very careful never to give my boys any dried fruit.

She does have tummy troubles that we have to watch her poop for, but she usually gets really grouchy and mean if her tummy starts hurting. She hasn't had any trouble since we started her on the papaya pill. The papaya pill isn't fresh or dried fruit, it's simply the papaya enzyme that helps with digestion. It has helped her a lot, and she's never acted like this from it. She constantly gnaws on her toys and stuff, but I checked her teeth and they all look normal. We don't currently have an exotic animal vet in town right now. I live in Fairbanks, AK and they aren't always here :/ And regular vets don't see them.

Back