Apple wood sticks

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljiayi

@chingary
I provide apple sticks for my chin as a chew toy. He seems to eat some parts of it. (Both the exterior of the stickand the stick itself) Is that okay?

Ha ha! Wow! Yours eat the stick? Mine strip the bark and place them near the door of their cage so I will take them away! :laughitup:

Last edited:
Buddha strips the bark off too, but doesn't eat the whole stick. Should I just take the sticks out after he chews the bark off or leave them to see if he'll continue to nibble on them? He definitely seems to prefer wood over things like loofah, pumice, etc. - but he'll try anything I hand him through the bars lol. He's very curious!

My boys will chew the bark, sometimes the wood a little, and sometimes they make spears out of them. When they're done with them they either throw them out of the cage (directly in front of my bedroom door, not pleasant to step on first thing in the morning) or they will bury them in the hay that they pull out of the hay holder. Sometimes I'll find the spears while I'm cleaning cages, shoved under the edge of the fleece in their hidey house. I'm fairly certain they are plotting an attack and hope that one week I'll forget to clean or something and they'll be able to stockpile enough weapons to take us down.

I leave the sticks in until we clean the cage, unless they've made a pile for me at the door ha ha! They will go back to chewing on them, though mine go back and forth between loving to chew on their shelves to loving their pumice rocks.

However, as becky12883 said, sometimes they sharpen them into points. If I notice that, I take them out. This is so they won't jump on them and impale themselves or get a big sliver caught in their teeth. It may be overly protective, but hey, that's me :)

Thanks for all the replies. Now I feel assured. Just weighed him and he's 402grams at slightly more than 4 months old. Is that overweight or fine?

I think that's perfectly ok but I've only had girls. My 4 month old ebony is already up to 520 grams. She's going to be so big! She's only around 50 grams lighter than my mosaic who's just over a year old. I wouldn't think that he's overweight.

Back