Manna Pro and Oxbow, which one is most economical and best quality? also sho?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailor_Orbit

Moon Cosmic Power Make up
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/manna-proreg%3B-select-seriestrade%3B-pro-formula-rabbit-food-25-lb

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3135798

I am thinking of switching over to Manna pro, because it seems to be the most economical choice, and the quality seems to be the same according to what they wrote in their ingredients. For 5lbs I would have to pay near $20 for oxbow, for 25lbs it's nearing $10 for Manna pro... The ingredients look similar...

But I just want to make sure I would be making the right choice. I don't want to skimp on quality but I also don't want to stupidly spend my money if they're pretty much the same ingredients. Granted I wouldn't need 25lbs for 2-4 chinchillas, but even with the extra food it's almost half the cost. I purchased oxbow hay which is like $6 for 1-2 lbs (lasts 10 days approx), then I went to the feed store and they sold me half a bail which fills up the trunk of my car (Prius) for $6... I wish I knew about these venues earlier, because according to some breeders there's really not that much difference in the hay. I also tried a few with my Chins and they seem to really like it. More so than the oxbow...well so far. I think the bail is fresher.

Anyway what are your guys opinion about manna pro vs oxbow pellets? Why would you go with manna pro vs sho? I know there's some added ingredients to the sho but more pricey and the pro has less ingredients. Which do you guys use, and why?

On the side note, has anyone found any place that sells aspen bedding for a ridiculously good price? at the feed store I went to, they sold 4 cu ft of aspen bedding for $9, petco was $15 for 2 cu ft.

Both are very good feeds to use. I can understand the concern over price, but at the same time, buying a 50lb bag may be too much. You'd have to find a way to either donate or sell the remainder you have so it doesn't go bad.

As for aspen, buying from a feed store is always cheaper in my opinion. I buy large bags from feed stores, a few at a time. I also think its better quality than buying from pet stores.

I haven't had experience with these food, but I buy my Mazuri at TS and my aspen bedding, I find it is much cheaper there. I also would say if you want to go with the Manna Pro or Sho, just donate what you can't use to a rescue.

Perhaps you can find someone local who would sell you Manna Pro by the pound? I have used it for several years now with good results. My local TSC just started carrying Mazuri but I can get 50 lbs of Manna Pro for the same price as 25 lbs of Mazuri, and with as many chins as I have, it makes a difference.

Or you can donate the remainder to a rabbit rescue, or chinchilla rescue if there is one near you.

I always buy my hay locally. I get it from a goat farmer, his second cut timothy/orchard grass is so soft and fresh. I buy my bedding at TSC, but it's comparable to the price I used to pay for the same amount at the local feed store. TSC is just more convenient.

Actually it's 25 lbs for $10. The closest rescue for chinchillas is in Connecticut. However there is one rescue in providence who actually has rabbits, since its a rabbit feed, it would make sense to give them to rabbits haha. Their main rescue is cats and dogs but they have random small animals as well. Just not as many.

Even if forever feisty was nearby, I see she exclusively uses oxbow, hasn't mentioned on her site about manna pro.

a breeder told me that sho is more expensive but there are ingredients that aren't necessary for chins to justify the extra cost. Something like that.

Yea I went to a feed store and the cheapest I found was $9 for 4 cu ft. There's a tractor store too but they're not advertising their bedding well, so I will have to go check it out.

But it is exciting that I can get these products at a much more economical price, that doesn't sacrifice quality! The oxbow hay was getting pricey...

I don't use that bedding, I use an 8.0 cubic foot bag of Premium Pine. Need more because I have lots of cages to clean!

Ohw, are the shavings big? I know for the finer ones it bothers my eyes. Everything has a tendency to fly in them lol

Back