when giving Keenmama's hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tricialynn

Ashkii and Chesmu
Hi
I've noticed that many people on here are feeding their chin's Keenmama's hay, and I thought that I would try it.
If I buy the 2nd cut and bluegrass... how much of their hay a day should contain the bluegrass? Or should I just give it as a treat?
Our boys are very spoiled, and I bought Farmer Dave's last time. But now they aren't eating it as well as they use to. I think that I bought to much at one time and it has dried out too much for them.
How much hay should two chins be consuming in a one month period?
I would appreciate all the input that any has to offer.

Chins should have unlimited access to grass hays (timothy, orchard, bluegrass, meadow, etc.). So, you can offer as much bluegrass as they will eat :))

It is best to feed several types of grass hays; chins love variety + different hays wear down teeth differently. You can also mix in a small amount of alfalfa (a legume hay) - it usually encourages chins to eat more hay.

Thank you, Tanya!
They always have access to timothy hay, but I didn't know if you could feed them different types of hay all of the time. This helped a bunch....they will love to try different hays. :)

I use the bluegrass as my bribery treat! The boys love it more than anything else ever. They get a giant handful when they go back to their cages on their own after playtime, so about 3 or 4 times a week. I ordered 9 pounds of bluegrass in February and still have a bunch left, I have 3 boys.

Just ordered the 3rd cut Timothy/ Bluegrass mixture from Kleenmama's! The boys will be thrilled. :)

Back