Where to get good hay and pellets?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mircat

I was wondering if any of you know where I can get some good pellets and hay because I will run out in a few weeks and I don't want to get it from petsmart as usual. Right now my boy is eating oxbow timothy hay and oxbow oat hay. His pellets are a mix of high fiber guinea pig pellets and some lower quality chin one.
Is there any site I could order that would be cheaper and fresher than the store? I looked at the vendors list sticky but couldn't really find anything.
I've heard that this supplier http://www.sweetmeadowfarm.com/animal-food-and-hay.html is good. Have any of you tried out Sweet Meadow's hay?
Well I hope someone here can point me in the right direction please and thanks. C:

I'm new here and been researching places to order. I came across a nice online pet store a few days ago. They have Ox Bow chinchilla pellets and hay. Seems to be cheaper than petsmart. Petsmart charges the same for a 5lb bag as they do for a 10lb bag. Don't know their shipping charges, but they have some nice new customer deals.

Maybe others can shed some light if its a good place for supplies, Wag.com

http://www.wag.com/buy?s=Ox+bow+chinchilla&subcatalog=

(sorry if there is a double post, received an error page on first submit)

I would get rid of the guinea pig pellets and start feeding him a higher quality chinchilla feed. There are some rabbit feeds that are acceptable for chins from Purina and Nutrena as well. Guinea pigs have different nutritional needs and their feed is different. I would never feed my pigs chinchilla feed.

Oxbow, Tradition, APD, Purina, Nutrena - all good brands of feed for chins. Honestly, with only one chin I would get the feed from someone on here in the chin supplies section and you will usually find that the feed you get from them is much fresher and cheaper than what you get in a store or online.

I would also check with Tanya for her organic hay. I can't afford to feed it to my herd, but I have used it for chins who are recovering from being ill and they go absolutely nuts for it. Other people who use it agree as well and say their chins really like it. She also sells quite a few supplements that chins go bananas over too. Her user name on here is Tanya and her site is fuzzieskingdom.

I'll second hay from Kleenmama. My boys love the bluegrass. I'm lucky also enough to live where I can get bales of hay for cheap from local farmers as well. I got a bale last summer and gave away over half of it because it was more than my 3 boys would possibly go through and I still have a bunch left.

I personally am not a fan of Kleenmama's. One time I got it and it was nothing but stems, the next nothing but dust. That was enough for me.

Sandi has good prices on feed (I am not sure what type she carries now, you will have to check). Essentia has carried feed reasonably. There are a few others that sell the Purina products, but you would have to check the classifieds. They are all reasonably priced.

We order 50# bags of Purina Rabbit Pro Show from our local feed store and take what we need for up to three months. The rest we donate fresh to the local shelter that has rabbits. We only have three chinchillas but we still find this cheaper than having food shipped. You can also buy hay at feed stores if you have one locally.

I have my local pet store order the 50# boxes of Oxbow and pick it up. It's a little pricey, but hey... it works and it keeps forever as long as it's dry and has access to air.

As far as pellets go, I get the purina rabbit pellets from my local feed store. I pay $18 for a 50# bag! You can order it here off of some members! My chins love it. In a pinch, I picked up oxbow chinchilla pellets from petsmart and they wanted nothing to do with it. Spoiled brats..

Last edited:
I was wondering if any of you know where I can get some good pellets and hay because I will run out in a few weeks and I don't want to get it from petsmart as usual. Right now my boy is eating oxbow timothy hay and oxbow oat hay. His pellets are a mix of high fiber guinea pig pellets and some lower quality chin one.
Is there any site I could order that would be cheaper and fresher than the store? I looked at the vendors list sticky but couldn't really find anything.
I've heard that this supplier http://www.sweetmeadowfarm.com/animal-food-and-hay.html is good. Have any of you tried out Sweet Meadow's hay?
Well I hope someone here can point me in the right direction please and thanks. C:

I highly recommend you get this hay: http://www.amazon.com/Timothy-Gold-...d=1370995711&sr=8-1&keywords=timothy+gold+hay It lasts for soooo long, i had mine for like a year I think, just keep it in a hay bag with air holes. My chin doesn't eat any other type of hay, and he absolutely loves this and eats almost every piece. Oxbow pellets are highly recommended too. my chin switched from charlie the chinchilla food for 5 years to oxbow and he took it right away.

Back