Rose Hips?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veg5019

Sometime next week I will be picking up my very first, White/Tan Female Chinchilla, already named Mae!

Seeing as I have never owned a Chinchilla before, I had questions about treats. I know the safest treat to give them are Rose Hips but I wanted to know how often I could give them to her.

I want her to know I'm going to be her new owner and that she can trust me, with the help of some Rose Hips ;) but I don't want to over do it.

So I guess I'm asking, how much is to much??

Thanks a ton!!
Vanessa

If she's under 6 months, she shouldn't have any until then. After that very sparingly. My boys get homemade hay cookies as treats and about one every 3 days. Every now and again they will get a pinch of oats, usually when I have the can out for myself. A great alternative to actual treats is apple wood sticks or hand feeding pellets. You can also use different types of grass hay as a treat too, my boys love bluegrass from KMS.

The nice thing about rosehips is that chins can't really OD on them, though you should wait until after 6 months of age before giving any treats. I use new chews and pinches of crushed rosehips to bond with my chins and once a month they each get a little piece of apple pumice. Keep in mind that your chin doesn't need any treats, so beyond helping with the bonding process there isn't a need to give them any (apple sticks and safe chews are nice 'treats' that are really multi-purpose chews!). Also, some people use oats, but if you do make sure that you use 'old-fashioned oats' and not quick oats.

Really, chins do not need treats at all.
Good feed, hay, dusting, chew toys and fresh water makes them happy.

A great treat is offering them a small twig of apple wood. Watch them enjoy.

Staying simple is the safest way to keep your chins healthy

Apple pomice should not be given to chinchillas. It is made from apples and they should not have any kind of fruits at all.

Back