When do you know when to get fresh?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laluvschins

I have some KMS hay that I had ordered about 3 or 4 months ago, its in plastic open bag in a cardboard box I keep in my hall closet. I think initially I ordered too much for two chins, I had thought awhile back it could possibly getting old, and I have bought different kinds of brands of Timothy hay even APD and my chins still will not hardly touch any thing but the KMS. I think it may be old because the smell of sweet timothy hay is no longer there at all!! I smelled it last night. I starting buying new brands of hay thinking my boys were loosing interest of the old hay but they still go back to it but the thing is lately it seems I cant hardly eat hay period!! Which starting to worry me. Do you all think it is time to order some more and maybe smaller order this time or what??? Thanks soo much!! :hmm: :)

I know some of the hay my horses were eating over the winter was from the previous year, so I assume it's good for awhile, 1-2 years I think. It's not good forever though and can go stale, basically lose flavor and nutrients, I'd check the date on it. Generally if it doesn't smell nice anymore it's not good anymore. Although, if I'm reading you right you said they are still eating the old stuff though, it might still taste good to them, so long as it's not moldy it wont hurt them. With only two myself I only buy 5-10 pounds or so at a time. I'm thinking of just buying small square bales this year roughly 50 pound bales to last me longer, but I can get it fresh cut directly from the farm.

I agree with the above. Hay is good for a year...think about it, they do a first, second and third cutting each year, and they keep those in a barn until sold throughout the year. Then, come summer, the new stuff grows and is harvested in the same order....so you can't get new stuff yet, because it hasn't grown yet! If they're still eating it and it isn't moldy, it's still good :)

Back