which brand is best?

• Thread starter DaphnesandFreddysmom
  • Start date
Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feed oxbow because I have it locally...but it is really pricey...$14 bucks for a 5lb bag:sick:

seeing that both brands are very good, I would suggest going with the cheapest/easiest to get:winkers:

I feed Manna Pro. My chins really seem to like it and are doing very well on it.

well we picked up the PANR today, a 10 lb bag. I was actually surprised they had Mazuri there too. We stuck with the PANR too the mazuri seemed a little...dusty.

i'm a little nervous switching especially Freddy. although the breeder forgot to give us any food with Freddy and he did a cold turkey switch to Tradition with no problems. We're doing a 75/25 mix for a couple weeks than a 50/50 for a couple weeks than 75/25 until we're done with the Tradition.

I just wanted to add, the reason most people have been told in the past "no rabbit food EVER" is because rabbit food used to have hormones added to it. This stoppped several years ago, and most high quality show feeds are suitable for chinchillas as well as rabbits.

As for the lady in Orlando, I had a friend in Oviedo who could not get fresh Manna Sho nor PANR ordered for anything, and ended up having to order it online. None of the feed stores in the Orlando area would bother to take 5 minutes out of their day to help her get stuff ordered. It was very frustrating for her. I hope you have better luck tho.
~Barb~

My crew is on PANR and i love it. Is much cheaper then the Mazuri i was feeding. and all my animals are thriving on it.

Yes it is very cheap we paid $5.75 for the 10 lb bag of the PANR. The Mazuri was the same price but much smaller.

I just hope my guys like it. I know our female isn't really keen on eating pellets so that's why I wondered if it was the pellets she didn't like. Our boy seems to like his pellets because I give him 2 tablespoons in the afternoon and by bedtime it's empty so he get 1 1/2 more. The PANR is much darker than the tradition and smells fresher too.

My chins are on Oxbow, which is $15 for a 10 lb. bag. To me, it's worth the price.

I feed Mana Pro I pay about 16.00 for 50 lbs at Rural King

I heard oxbow is pretty good, it was actually my second choice if I couldn't find a cheaper bag of mazuri. Just remember to ease them into their new food slowly. Hope everything works out for you!

Mazuri was...'Alright'. I switched to Tradition a few months ago and my chins gained VERY good weight. The Tradition mill in NC shut down so I'm in the process of switching to PANR. The feed store in Galax offers it in 50 lb quantities too and since I still keep in contact with the people I adopted my rescues to, I'm sure they'd help take some off my hands. You could keep it in the fridge to keep freshness, that's what I was told to do.

Mazuri caused one of my girls to have some soft poo. At first, I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I had to start removing things slowly from her environment (my vet couldn't find any health issues with her) until her poo got better. Turns out, she has a sensitive belly and coloured wood upsets it, as does Mazuri. I switched all my chins to Oxbow and they (as well as I) love it.

I just started feeding PANR a few months ago and I am very pleased with it thus far! I get a 50lb locally for under $15!

Back