If I were to switch their pellets, what would the proper mixture be?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandi

non-stop poop sweeper
I'm thinking of switching from Mazuri to Oxbow, one reason being is that there is alot of waste of pellets. I do see my 2 boys eating the Mazuri but I also see alot of pellets outside of their food bowl. If I switch, should I start out with half and half, a cold switch or should I just slowly ease into it?

I'd do 25% new 75% old the first week
50-50 the next week
75-25 the third week. Then completely to the new food. It's going to be the easiest on their digestive systems, which are quite delicate. The only time that I have ever seen switching cold turkey suggested is when someone is feeding a completely crappy feed, and even then most just say to take out the treats and switch slowly. But Mazuri is a good feed, and slowly switching will be best for them.

I do roughly the same ratio/time frame as well. I use Lifeline with their pellets for the entire switch... and of course, keep an eye on poops. If you see hefty changes in either direction, I'd suggest slowing it down even more or taking other steps to "fix" the digestive functions again before switching more. :)

I take it one week further, and do it by mixing 4/5 old food with 1/5 new food for a week. You then mix 3/5 old food and 2/5 new food for the next week, and so on so that on week five you will have all new food. I had a bad experience once and lost a chin while switching food, so I am always paranoid. If the chin is small, it is usually harder on them. I also use Lifeline and some probiotics daily, and lots of hay of course.

I switched Tikas food and followed the 5 week format as described about. I did how ever run into a little trouble during week 3 and 4 she got loose stools so i just extended the lower ratio for another week and then bumped it up and she did great!

I have switched twice the first time over a couple of weeks the second time was cold turkey I didn't have problems either time.

Back