Hoping Its Only Dry Skin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bailey59

Has Hedgehog Disease
Although I have been inactive for awhile, I need to tell you guys a concern I have been having with Pompeii.

So far, I think it is just dry skin. With that being said, I have tried to give him a bath. So far, once he touches the bath he poops out green poo. I always feel terrible, thus I have not tried to give him a bath again. Is there anything I can do to help him but without a bath? I have heard of flax seed oil, oatmeal, etc. but what is the best? He has also been not on his wheel as much. He eats like a hog, but I don't see too much poop on his wheel, as of right now, it is getting messier but not back to his regular. I only had him since 12/11 so this has started a week after Xmas.

Thank you for your time!!!

Also could you say the specific brand if you want to suggest anything? I must of found 100 different types of flax seed oil...

Aww... poor buddy. Terrified of the bathwater :(

I haven't found one brand of flax seed oil to be better than any other one. I do like the ones that are in gel cap form. Makes it easy to reach into the jar, pull one out, poke a hole in it, and squeeze it on to hedgie and/or hedgie's kibbles.

Oatmeal is something you'd use in the bath, so probably best to skip that for now. Unless, of course, he's a mess and you have to bathe him anyhow. If that situation arises, you can get regular oatmeal (the kind you'd eat), put some in a sock and swish it around in his bathwater before he gets in. Or you can get the colloidal oatmeal and put that in.

I tend to stay away from the oatmeal shampoos and oatmeal body washes that some other people use with their hedgies. Those have extra ingredients in there that aren't necessary, make it more expensive, and I worry if hedgie decides to drink the bathwater (Tex was the main offender on that... silly boy!).

That must have been adorable! He (Tex) must have been a handful!

I went out last night and got some flaxseed oil. It is orange and clear. And it sure does have an interesting smell... But to apply it you poke it a hole and then drizzle it on his back? How big of a hole, like what would you use to puncture the pill? Also, do you just drip it in one spot and let it spread or different spots? Sorry for the many questions but I want to do it right :thumbsup:

Funny enough, I've found quills work best to poke a hole in the gelcap... you know, one that's fallen out. I've also used the end of a paperclip, fork tine, and staple.

Try a couple drops near the shoulders, a couple more along each side, a couple on top, and then on his little hiney. They'll spread out a bit. A few days later, take a look and put a few more drops on places that weren't covered the first time.

He may huff at you... he'll be confused over what that weird sensation he's feeling. That's fine. If he gets really worried/freaked out, pause after the first drops and try again in a couple days.

Yes, flax seed oil is safe to ingest.

You can even apply a few drops to his kibbles. I've had three who would accept their kibbles with it added. One other is suspicious of everything and will not eat any kibbles that have been altered.

Back