Quick Question on Ear Infections (currently being treated)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRevelo

Hello!

It's been forever & a day since I've posted in here. My little stickshift last week (Friday/Saturday the 17th/18th of March) I had to rush him to the E.R at 3am due to him laying on his side, with a headtilt barely able to walk (walked as if he was drunk).He's always has been very healthy so I was a complete wreck when I saw him in this state. They believe its an ear infection (After I've done my research on the internet after the visit I'm assuming it is) They still haven't called me back for the lab results yet (Which I've been calling them every other day about it)

But they given medicine to him & flushed out his ear & given me;

Enrofloxacin Inj. 22.7mg/ml (dispensed only qty. 5
Rx; Give Stickshift 0.35ml by mouth every 12 hours until directed otherwise

Meloxicam Oral Susp 0.5mg/ml 15ml qty 1
Rx: Give Stickshift 0.4 ml by mouth once daily

Along with some Diet CC for herb apple/ban 5oz qty 1
(He does eat/drink on his own from time to time, but I do use this every 8 hours)

Btw; he weights 400g

He seems to be doing better, still has a head tilt but not as bad. He's still walks awkwardly but that's only because of the head tilt still, I'm assuming. He is trying to be more active by walking around but I usually put him in his crate to calm him down as he needs to rest. Also he LOVES being fed by a syringe (I feel like he's being spoiled & will never eat on his own again lol)

My question is; how long does ear infections usually last? I know every chinchilla would be different on heal time. but is there a ballpark guess?

Update: So I heard back from the Vet E.R (Sage in Concord CA)
They did confirm the ear infection & that he was on the right medication to treat it. She didn't know the range as they don't get that many chinchillas but her guess from rabbits is a couple weeks/to a month.

In the mean time, Stickshift has finished the antibiotics, but is still taking the inflammatory medicine still & being fed from the syringe even though he can get and drink water on his own. He's walking normally minus a few stumbles still has he does still have a head tilt, but it's almost back to it being normally upright. He's become more active in moving around too.

I called U.C Davis vet school as I was told they tend to Chinchillas, I called to get their option in bringing him in since Stickshift is on the road to recovery. They told me that it's uncommon for chinchillas to get ear infections due to their ears being so big (But I've done my research online and it shows otherwise) & how they don't get that at their hospital minus a few times. Also they don't know how long the head tilt will last or if the head tilt will go away. I felt a little discouraged when they told me this.

I've never in over 20 years (and over a dozen chins) had a chin with an ear infection, so I would have to agree that they aren't common. However, the most common ear problem in chins is ear infection though, and I do know they happen since I've read on here a couple times about chins getting them. My guess is that even though chins have big ears they don't dig or sleep in nests, so are much less likely to get stuff in there ears then say a rabbit.

The reason they can't get you a definite answer to if the head tilt will go away or not is because without seeing the chin they don't know if the inner ear was damaged or not. Once the infection and pain is all gone a vet should be able to look inside the ear to see if any actual damage was done.

Back