I need to stop going on CL this happens too often

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see these ads a lot too and they break my heart. And in the ad you posted, it looks like that dust house isn't getting much use... the sticker is still on and it looks pretty clean! :-( My girls' bath house didn't make it through even one session without getting covered in little dusty paw prints!

I hope this chin gets a really good home... scoop her up if you can!

Wow, they didn't keep her for very long :( everything looks new and barely used.
I am amazed at how many chins I'm seeing in aquariums now.. Eek. Awful. Also.. Wouldn't the chin easily be able to jump out of that? What are people thinking. :S They must have close to zero knowledge about chins...

Good luck to this little chinny. I hope she finds a good home.

At least once a week I see a new listing for a single or bonded pair of chins on craigslist in my area. More often than not they have plastic shelves, paper litter, no wood to chew, a plastic wheel that's too small, mesh floors or ramps, dustbath left in the house, or obvious they never get a dust bath, or some other issues. As much as I would love to rescue/adoptor start a sanctuary for all of them, the people in my area ask for $400 or so for the chin and set up. They claim to have paid $250 for the chin (extra because its not a standard!) and that the cage and supplies they paid over $300 for. If they did they were ripped off cause the small cages are no more than $90 new and plenty go for 30-50 used in the area. I cant afford to save all the chins by paying $400 and then having to get new cages and everything anyways.
I try to post educational stuff every once in a while in case someone's looking to get one of them and get tons of thanks from other worried chin owners. Usually if I try to contact current owners they dont care because they're over the chin already :/ I wish there was some sort of animal education for the public or maybe in schools- like an elective or something. And I wish craigslist owners that want to turn around and get rid of the pet they just got could get it back to the previous owner or petstore or something.

There's a few hobby breeders here that make my brain hurt, but I'm occasionally finding people at least claiming to be rehoming or even looking to adopt a chin. I'm trying to direct the home-seekers to rescues and pet seekers here for info. I'm hoping at least some of my efforts are helping.

Just thought I'd add a little optimism to this thread. :)

CL ads can be so infuriating and sad. Just seems a lot of pet owners in general aren't cut out to care for fur-kids, nor take the time to research the commitment and resources required.

Back