post leg amputation neuro problems, help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rrilltrae

Hello everybody,

My hedgehog had a recent injury that led to an amputation of her left rear leg. she got through the surgery like a champ, and was recovering fine. 3 week later she has a sudden loss of function in her remaining leg. At the same time, she has developed a staph infection post-op on her bum.

She doesn't seem to be able to feel her leg when i touch and manipulate it and it has almost no muscle tone. when she moves she is dragging the limb, but when she gets where shes going it will pull into a more natural position. She can ball for the most part but can't pull the leg in, and she also doesn't seem to be aware when I touch the quills on her back past a certain point or raise them.

The weirdest part is, it I rub her hips, or touch her stump the stump responds as expected, and the leg starts to wiggle. I don't know if she is doing this consciously or if it somehow has nerve activity without her ability to control it.

She is back on her baytril which seems to be clearing up the infection, and an NSAID as an anti-inflamatory to try to relieve whatever is going on with her back end.

Any ideas what the heck is going on here? Thanks for your help!

I'd definitely bring her in to her vet to describe and show the signs you're seeing. It certainly does seem odd that she seems to have lost function and sensation, but then still have it further down.

Back to the vet definitely for an ultrasound if there is no improvement - could be swelling or infection from the amputation or a mass. Is she improving with the anti-inflammatory. Please let us know how it goes.

Back