Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shandi

I choose not to handle my chins, they absolutely do not like it and they tremble and panic when picked up so I choose to respect their feelings. We do have a lot of contact tho, I just don’t pick them up or pet their backs. Anyhow, I noticed both of their fur on their lower back above their tails is getting messy looking! Any suggestions on how to brush that fur without scaring them? If they won’t allow me to brush it, should I go ahead and pick them up and brush it (which will obviously stress them out), or should I just leave the fur alone? Any advice would be greatly appreciated:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you don't hold them, then they aren't use to being handled. First I would work on getting them use to being picked up, most chins don't like getting picked up, but most will get use to it and at least tolerate it for short amounts of time.

You don't actually brush a chin, you should comb them, their fur is too thick for a brush to really do much good. To comb you actually comb them from tail to head, if the fur is matted you might be better off just lightly tugging it out. Chins will slip their fur, so the mats should come out, the chins will be mad and bark, but it shouldn't really hurt.

Some other things, how long have you had them? Is the fur actually matted or just looking scruffy? Chins do shed, could that be what it is? How often do they get a dust bath? The baths do help with shedding fur, so if you do get to the point of being able to comb them, it's best to comb then give them a bath.

Back