Discharge... Again!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaliboo

I have a female chinchilla, 10 years old. Poor little babe's genitals and tummy and wet today and it looks like the discharge is coming from her vagina. I didn't notice any smell when I picked her up to check her out. Looked a bit like translucent gray, but I'm guessing that could be from trying to dry herself in a dust bath.

This is the fourth or maybe fifth time this has happened. The first time was last June. Each time her appetite comes and goes but her energy is fairly normal. Antibiotics clear it up within days (thankfully) but within a few weeks or months, it's back.

My vet sees chins regularly but says it's bizarre to see such a large amount of white blood cells in the discharge but for her to be running around. We've discussed having her spayed but he would prefer to avoid it because of her age and because he's not 100% convinced it's a reproductive issue. He said that if it was pyometra I surely would not still have a chinchilla.

She'll be heading to the vet again tomorrow, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone through this with one of their chins? I'm so confused about what exactly is happening and why and frustrated that I can't seem to do anything to keep her healthy for very long. She clearly feels terrible once she starts the antibiotics and I feel awful that she has to keep going through that.

I've never had that issue but I do have some thoughts. When you say she was trying to dry herself in the dust bath, do you mean she has the dust bath in her cage all the time? That is not good and can lead to all kinds of issues, most commonly eye infections, respiratory issues, and dry skin, but vaginal infections could likely happen too.

When dust is left in the cage they end up peeing and pooping in it, which contaminates it. When she then rolls in the dirty dust it can get into her private area, and can cause an infection. Dust should only be given for about 5-10 minutes, enough time for the chin to bath, a few times a week (depending on where you live).

The dust should probably also be changed every bath until the infection is cleared up or she could end up reinfecting herself. Once she is better you can reuse the dust a few time, before changing it. Just scoop out any poops between baths, but dump the dust and clean the bath container if she pees in it or if the poop is not normal dry poops.

The dust bath isn't in all the time, usually just about 20 mins every other day. I noticed the discharge when I went to take it back out, so I figured she had been sitting in it recently (I didn't actually see-- I popped the bath into her cage and then went to make a phone call). She doesn't always use it when it's in there, but if she's got discharge she definitely does. It didn't look like she had rolled in it because she wasn't covered in dust, though.

And I give her new dust for every bath (and clean the container after each) while she's unwell, new dust every other bath normally.

Well it was just a thought, of course the answer can't be that easy, too bad.

I appreciate the suggestions! But yeah, unfortunately, not that simple. :( Looks like we'll be going through with the spay surgery in two weeks. Poor little dear!

Hi Kalibo,
I'm having that very same issue right now with Swee Swee. She constantly has her nose in her genitals and I can't figure it out. I picked her up and turned her over and I could see the same thing some grayish whitish fluid around her vaginal area. I took a cool damp paper towel and gently wiped around the area and I'm keeping an eye on it. She's eating well she's not behaving normally. She seems lethargic and not at all interested in running on her wheel. I did notice the water bottle wasn't dispensing water as it should. So I'm treating her for dehydration with a few drops of Pedialyte from an eye dropper. I need to order critical care and will give that to her as recommended. I will post the results in a few days and let you know how she's doing.
🙋🏻‍♀️🐭💕

If you suspect she has an infection such as pyrometra, a vet visit should be planned. My girl just turned 13 and had open pyometra in June of last year. She had spay surgery, because in my vets experience once they get it it keeps coming back, so antibiotics are usually a temporary fix.

Back