Why is he doing this every night now?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lexillo

I got my chinchilla a few months ago at the beginning of the new year.
I noticed just once after about two months that he sprayed urine. I didn't think much of it, but this past month he's been doing it daily.

I never actually see him do it, but every morning I notice it.
His cage has wheels on it so I wheel him into the restroom area. It's dark and quiet at night. (My hedgehog is too scared to come out when he hears my chinchilla play.) There is always pee sprayed on the counter when I wake up. Today there was a pile of urine on the floor. He typically is spraying from the same area on the same side of the cage. I also noticed he's not using his litter box like he use to.

What do I do? :(
Should I maybe move his litter box to the side hes spraying?

Is he actually spraying? Males can't really spray, but females can pretty accurately up to about 5 feet. Or could it be pee hitting the cage bars and splattering? I have a fleece blanket on the wall behind the cage to help keep the wall clean because of that problem. If it's only one side maybe you could try just pinning a fleece blanket to that side of the cage, that way the pee goes on the blanket and not all over the bathroom counter. Also I know my boys will sometimes stick their butts out the cage and end up peeing on the floor.:banghead: To stop that my only though is pee guards so they can't stick their little furry butts out.

As for not using the litter box as much, it happens, some chins just decide they don't want to anymore. Chins aren't really litter trained like a cat, it's more a situation of you put the box were they want to pee. My guys I gave up with, they pee everywhere in the cage, but luckily only in their cage.

Back