Wheel running path

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bethany

What is the best width for a wheel running path? The reason I ask is I have chinchillas and I'm thinking of trying something like a silver surfer for my first hedgie I'm getting.

http://www.chinchillas.com/estore/detail.aspx?ID=108

I've looked at the hedgie wheels, and I just can't spend $40 on something homemade. No offense to anyone, but I'd rather purchase a metal one I know will last longer.

Last edited:
4 inches might be a little tight if you wind up with a bigger hog. Don't quote me, but I think the minimum running path that people like to have for their hogs is something like 5+ inches... the homemade wheels I have for my hogs have a 6.5 inch running space that even my biggest girl can use if she feels so inclined. I've noticed that my hogs seem to zig-zag a big when they run, so extra room to move will keep them from falling off the wheel.

Metal ones don't always last longer - metal rusts if you're not careful, and you will be washing the wheel daily. I've had my homemade wheels for over a year and they've held up better than any store bought one I've used. Granted, the wheels I have are made with a plastic bucket, plastic PVC tubing and a custom-made bracket to help the wheel spin smoothly and silently.

Bethany,

I've seen instructions for bucket wheels that recommend either a 4 1/2 or 5 1/2 inch width. As Courtney mentioned the wider widths may be required for larger hedgehogs as well as some like to slalom when they run. If it is too narrow they will end up sliding off and either not using or or injuring themselves.

What is your concern with the wheels people make to sell? Is it that the plastic will wear out? As long as they are made from good quality buckets and parts and are properly cared for they last a very long time. I have 2 that are over 9 years old. Both are in great shape and are still in use. The only thing I have had to do to them is change the skate bearing on one because I got it very wet and it started to rust. Lesson learned, never soak the wheel where the bearing may get wet. Otherwise the bucket itself is still doing very well.

I think 4" is too narrow for all but the smallest hedgie. I'd also be concerned about the metal surface being more slippery than plastic.

I have bucket wheels both made my me and by others and with care they last a long time. My very first wheels are 6 years old and a few of them the bearings have gone in but it is easy to replace the bearing. Having so many hedgehogs and wheels to clean, I am not the least bit careful about keeping the bearings from getting wet. I soak about 5 at a time in a large bin. I use vasaline regularly on the bearings and they last well considering they are getting wet once or twice a week for years.

I would have to say that a plastic one is better than metal too.. But for another reason. I would think that metal would tend to hold a chill and since hedgies need to keep warm it wouldnt be the best choice for a wheel.

I got my wheels for $25 each. So I dont know where $40 is coming from unless the prices of wheel are going up! Also, I have seen directions for bucket wheels where you can make it yourself for under $10. You can even put up wanted ads on craigslist or freecycle for 5 gallon buckets to lower the price a bit.

I would have to say that a plastic one is better than metal too.. But for another reason. I would think that metal would tend to hold a chill and since hedgies need to keep warm it wouldnt be the best choice for a wheel.
That's a good point that I hadn't thought of, I was planing on using a heat pad as the heat source. A metal wheel may get too cold with a pad or too hot if using a ceramic heat emmiter.

I got my wheels for $25 each. So I dont know where $40 is coming from unless the prices of wheel are going up!
I've been looking on the forum for a bucket wheel and the only links to wheels I've found are these:
http://www.hedgehogwheel.com/order.html
http://beachbumhedgehogs.com/supplies.html

Also, I have seen directions for bucket wheels where you can make it yourself for under $10.

I would love to get a link to do it yourself wheels. I just know that when I first got chins that my girl broke 2 comfort wheels before she was too big for them. I decided it was cheaper to get a chin spin. I also know that keeping a chin spin (which I do have an extra) would be immposible with the wood back. To be quite honest CS are built to last and I hate giving $56 for them. I can't bring myself to spend $40 on a plastic lid or embroidery loops with plastic mesh. Ecspecially if I can get a chin wheel that can be used for years, but I do have buckets.

The wheels made from embroidery hoops and plastic mesh are not safe. There is too much risk of hedgies nails getting caught in the mesh while they are running. Those style of wheels also incorporate other less than ideal features such as a center cross bar which can rub on the back of a larger hedgehog, and also they have bars that can hit the hedgehog if s/he jumps off in mid spin.

Open face bucket style wheels are by far the best. Here are some links to make your own. http://www.hedgehogworld.com/content/view/128/42/
http://www.petratscanada.com/wheel/wheel.htm

The chinmanis link was the on I was refering to. And you can get a blade wheel from a sports shop.. They sell replacements and might even have used ones for cheaper. You can also get a shower door wheel.

And my wheels I got from Sunshine Quill Hedgehogs. Shes super fast on getting them out! http://www.sunshinequillhedgehogs.com/products.html

And you can get a blade wheel from a sports shop.. They sell replacements and might even have used ones for cheaper.

I found the cheapest way to go and still get a quality product was to buy a pair of used children's roller blades. 8 wheels with 8 replacement sets of bearings :)

I was viewing all the threads I started and thought I would update this.

I went to a sports shop and asked the guy if they had roller blade wheels. He asked what kind I wanted and I said to be honest I don't know. I told him what I wanted it for and he said so you just need one wheel. He gave me a wheel that he had in a spare drawer. So all in all the wheel I made was free (I had zip ties etc.. lying around).

He loves his wheel and I think I did a fairly descent job making it.

Back