Heating the cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

GuidoTheHedgie

My hedgie uses a guinea pig cage, and im wondering what my best options for heating are. Although my house stays at like a constant 80 degrees, and only slightly lower than 70 in the winter. What should I use?

For Annie I use a ceramic heat emitter. I ordered mine from Petco.com, which has sales on them often. Annie is in a C&C cage, but I think you could use it for a guinea pig cage and it would work very well.

I use a ceramic heat emitter too. I think you'll find that lot of people on here do. Definitely does the trick to keep them warm in the winter.

The most important part of the heat emitter setup is the thermostat to regulate the heat output. Without a thermostat, the emitter can make it too hot.

okay, thanks everyone! :thumbsup:

and one more thing,

which cage thermometers do ya'll use?

Heating pads only heat up the floor of the cage and not air temperature. It is preferable to heat the air up so that the entire environment is of the appropriate temperature. That way when the hedgehog is on their running wheel they do not get chilled and must go back to a heating pad to warm themselves.

With that said, there are people that use human heating pads in their hedgehog's cages and seem to do ok with them. I still worry that the hedgehog is getting chilled when away though.

I think a heating pad can work for a bin or a small cage that is somewhat enclosed. In a larger cage, the heating pad is actually worse to use as the hedgehog gets used to the very warm area over the pad so getting up to eat or wheel, the unheated area feels that much colder.

Back