Purchasing Bucket Wheels

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, but not quite what I'm looking for. I've seen this "cake wheel" before and don't care for the design. Any others?

I just know that you should get one that some one recommends, because I bought two crappy ones for that same price and they are so flimsy that they don't even hold the hedgehogs! I don't even know what to do with them. So I went out and bought comfort wheels, which are better but not perfect. I would like a good source as well- but the cake wheel looks ok to me.

just curious, but what part of the design do you not find appealing or the cake walk?

just curious, but what part of the design do you not find appealing or the cake walk?

I will say there are certainly some attractive features of this wheel and it looks like the manufacturer is working to come up with a good hedgehog wheel. However, (keeping in mind this is just my opinion after viewing the photos) I question the safety of part of the design of this wheel.

First I notice that the base platform tray has a gap in it from the rim to the center. I keep thinking about a hedgie getting his little foot caught or twisted in that gap. I do notice that the wheel can be attached to a cage instead of using the platform, but I have to wonder if the wheel will function just as smoothly if this is done.

Also the design has no crossbar in the center of the wheel (a good thing) but it does have metal wingnuts on screws. I would worry about my large hedgie scrapping his back on these or raising up to sniff at them and possibly scratching his belly.

There is no gap in the base it is a step. Completely solid. As for the wingnuts the screws don't stick out past the height of the wings on the wingnuts and the wings are very close together. Also your hedgehog would have to be VERY long as the wingnuts are about five inches from the running surface of the wheel to be able to touch his belly. The inside diameter of the wheel is twelve inches. So it ends up being a bit larger than the largest Comfort wheel. And the wingnuts have no sharp edges. Also if you adjust the wingnuts parallel to each other the hedgehog cannot be hit by the screw ends while the wheel is spinning due to the wings being taller than the screw ends and the wings being inline with the direction of the wheel spin. The wingnuts have a "box" type look when placed parallel when looking at the wheel as a whole. While I understand no one wheel is perfect for every hedgehog I have made every effort to produce a hedgie safe wheel as my girls use these wheels.

ooh i just went to your site. i can't wait to order one!!!! or two!

I'm starting to think about buying that wheel but I wonder about the dimension, if that would fit in the cage (how long and wide it is).

Dimensions 14" x 14" x 16" high for use with base. Without base 13" high

If Nancy recommends it, that's good enough for me. I need to get Phoebs a new wheel - the comfort wheel is hard to clean and also really noisy. I'm going to get one of these after next pay day. :)

And I am sure if you choose Nancy would be happy to make you some nice cloth covers for the base if you think they are needed. I think it is easy enough to wipe clean everyday but it is an option and she makes such quality products.

I don't have a cakewalk wheel (yet), but several of my friends do and give it very good reviews. I saw two at the Eastern States Hedgehog Show in June and thought it was a pretty good design. Next time I'm in the market for a wheel, I'm going to give one a try.

Sheila Dempsey
Southern Maryland

Back