Wheel Cleaning

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

drewmw

Hey guys. I was wondering if someone could tell me the best wheel-cleaning solution? I have been using some stuff the breeder gave me, and it works ok, but I think there should be something out there that could do better. What do you all use?

Thanks!

Pert Plus... it's a tad unconventional, but it's been doing the job quite nicely for about 2 years now.

Edit: heehee... 3 Michigan posts in a row :)

Last edited:
So, Michigan has a monopoly on cleaning solutions. I use a light bleach solution to clean my cages, including the wheels. It works well, but not everyone can use bleach. A lot of people have bad reactions to it.

I use some hedgie-safe hand soap (no tea tree oil, etc.), hot water and a good strong brush. It works well and the wheels smell nice afterwards too... as opposed to how they smelled before the cleaning. :vomit: :laughitup:

I clean my hedgie cage and bird cages with hot water and apple cider vinegar - it works great, and the fumes are safe too (lots of cleaning products can have very dangerous fumes for birds).

I use this all-natural cleaner that I got from a pet store. I'm not 100% positive that it's safe to eat, so I make sure to rinse the wheel very well. I fill each wheel up with water, add a squirt of the cleaner and let it sit. The dried on poop soaks off and then I give the wheel a quick scrub with a stiff brush and a quick wipe with vinegar. I rinse it with hot water afterward.

It seems tedious, but the wheels are still white. Heh.

I spray a vinegar/water mix and then soak them in hot water. Then I scrub with a hard brush to get the hard yuckies off. When Aero was alive the smell of vinegar would give him green poops. So I had to wipe it down with a babywipe after to get the smell out. When ever I used a baby wipe after he never got green poops. But if I left it? The wheel would be covered.

I soak the wheel in really hot water and then scrub with vinegar/water solution and the rough side of a sponge to get the hard bits off. I rinse it well to get as much of the vinegar smell off as I can before I put it back in the cage. I clean the cage and everything else with the vinegar/water too.

Back