Burrowing Under Liner

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
X

xwhateverx92

Annie has never done it before, but I caught her burrrowing underneath the liner of her cage last night. Is there anything I can do to make it so she can't? Or should I just let her? I'm just afraid that she's going to hurt herself by knocking her wheel over, or get stuck under the liner.

My boys both do this, and so far nothing has been knocked over other than food, but I also twist tie the wheel. I you could try velcro. One piece on the liner and the other on the pan / coroplast / other bottom.

My boy does that occasionally, but I don't like him to because then the tray itself gets waaaaay dirtier and I'm scared that he will chip the paint off of the tray (I've got a homemade cage with a tray that slides in and out).

I've easily solved that problem by using binder clips to clip the liner to the edge of the tray. Like was mentioned before, velcro could work, too.

Penny used to do that too. She's stopped since she's figured out that sleeping in her baggie is so much nicer - for both her and I! Do you have a blankey or baggie for her that she can burrow under, on top of the liner?

Penny used to do that too. She's stopped since she's figured out that sleeping in her baggie is so much nicer - for both her and I! Do you have a blankey or baggie for her that she can burrow under, on top of the liner?

I recently got rid of her sleeping bag because her nail got caught in the thread. She's got some blankets in her igloo to snuggle in. I think she misses her bag because she use to go in there often. My mom is working on making her one, so hopefully she can have that soon.

Nuance doesn't try, but Fray loves to dig at the liners. Some have velcro, but I am now in the process of pulling it all up and just using the plain liners. They don't seem to mind as long as they have bags and blankies to snuggle with.

I have a few that think sleeping under the liner on the bare plastic is the best thing in the world. I don't try to change them because to do so only makes them more determined and causes more problems. I put the base of the wheel under the liner so it can't get tipped over and put the water bowl in the corner opposite where he or she wants to go under. Some of them really seem to like the bare plastic and I don't think anything will discourage them.

Needler WITHOUT fail will go under his liner every night. I put bags and blankets and nothing and strips of fleece and everything and he insists on going under.I just let him now. If I put a tougher liner that he can't bunch up then he FREAkS out. But he goes IN is house under the blanket and liner but above the bottom layer of fleece that I have for him. All the stands are put under the liners to avoid tiping but also one less part I have to clean. Lol good luck

My Kei used to drag her hedgie bag under her liner. Sometimes she would lay on top of the hedgie bag and under the liner, sometimes she'd be on the plastic under both hedgiebag and liner. Then she decided that she needed to be under her igloo too so there would be Kei on the bare plastic, then her hedgie bag, then the liner, and on top would be her igloo.

If it is a recent thing, then most likely its from the change in her environment (removal of the bag). Poptart went on a month long spree of going under her wheel cage's cage liner. She would burrow under, push her wheel up against the wall and bang it against the side. Typically this went on until I got out of bed and picked her up.

It started when I switched her back to a bucket wheel after her using a spool wheel for a few weeks. The behavior stopped and has never come back since I gave her the spool wheel back. I guess she needed a way to show me her preference.

Hopefully yours will stop once she gets a nice sleeping bag back.

Well I guess there's no harm to it and if Annie enjoys it, then it's okay.
Last night I put some extra pieces of fleece in her cage and found her snuggled in them this morning. It appears she also went under her liner a bit, too.
I'll try to get her a new sleeping bag soon, though. I bet she misses it.

My Kei used to drag her hedgie bag under her liner. Sometimes she would lay on top of the hedgie bag and under the liner, sometimes she'd be on the plastic under both hedgiebag and liner. Then she decided that she needed to be under her igloo too so there would be Kei on the bare plastic, then her hedgie bag, then the liner, and on top would be her igloo.
One moring I woke up to Hotdog's hat "mysteriously missing." And there just happened to be a suspiciously large lump under her liner. I have no clue how she did it but somehow Hotdog had managed to get her hat under her liner and slept there! I'm just glad she didn't get stuck but if she got her hat under her liner, she could probably get herself out. Hedgies are probably the weirdest yet funniest animals on this planet!;)

Last edited:
Back