Adopting from craigslist?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haha I know I ask yous o many questions haha Im such a nag :p <3 (but you like me anyway....hahaha)

That is definitely the hard part! Oncce they get out into the real world! I bet you worry so much sometimes about the chins you once had and wonder where they are now!

I love my baby but we had a really bad experience. We got two chins we thought were both males. We got a male and a female. The neuter went wrong and we're left with one female.

Who we adore!

But I honestly didn't know to ask questions. The mother of the baby died, I didn't ask why. They came in one of the plastic bottomed Superpet cages with a house built from some unknown wood with nails in it, some kind of bark dust shaving bedding and a broken lava ledge. No hay. Just an unknown pellet I only had a few day's worth.

They were $200 and we thought they had a cage and all but didn't ask the right questions. Do I regret adopting her? No. But I wish we handn't gone through the whole thing. I regret neutering the male every day. It broke our hearts.

:( How terrible! Im so sorry that happened to you. People can be so deceiving on CL as well with the condition of the animal. If only you could have met your chins under different circumstances.

I think its also a lesson for everyone on asking questions! Theres always something you could inquire on thats important that you somehow space on...or dont realize is something that needs to be inquired about. Atleast the girl is now happy and healthy with you though!

We got Chia on Kijiji. I don't regret it one bit, I love her so much and she's a pretty good natured (but somewhat stubborn and petulant) chinchilla. I paid $50 for her, but nothing was included.

My problem with the seller is 2-fold. First, he was very stupid- housed a male and a female in the same cage and was shocked that they had babies. Chia was what I assumed was the first offspring, but I guess there could have been several before. Chia has a sibling out there who is 3 months younger than she is, who was born when I picked Chia up. Mother and father were in the cage with Chia and the baby...

Second, I was told Chia was a male. I don't know how to check these things, so I believed him. Chia is NOT a male. Luckily I was told otherwise before I decided to adopt a second chin...

I think with anything kijiji or Craig's list is always buyer beware... I'm happy with Chia, but I do worry about her getting sick more than I might with a breeder-bought chin.

I was just looking on my local cl. There is a homo ebone with a brand new fn142 cage and complete fleece covers for 300. That would be worth it. The chin is from a descent breeder. The lady will have to drop the price. No one wants to spend money on 'normal' colors these days. I was actually contacted yesterday by a woman who wanted to swap rescues cause she was tired of grey!

Okay well she agreed to 200 so I told her I would go look at him before I make a final decision. If he turns out to be a sweetheart I a
Would probably take him but try talking down in price a little more even then.

My first two chins were CL rescues, both are standards, both came with death balls, those petstore honey nibble logs, and plastic cages. Almost all of it went into the dumpster. The first one we paid $100 for the whole lot, so we paid waaayyy too much for all of it. The other one was chewing his fur at the time we picked him up and they didn't mention it on the ad or when we talked, so they dropped the price for us to $60.
Then I got a pair of standard rescues from Susan for nowhere near what I paid for ONE of the previous ones. These CL people are buying a chin in the petstore for too much, then buying a bunch of stuff at higher prices.. they have no idea how much they are being ripped off by the big stores because they never look into other options. So then they think they should get most of their investment back when they go to sell the chins on CL. I feel bad for the chins but there is no way I would pay those prices again when there is no need to.

My first two came from CL. Same old story - girl going off to college, she had mom and two unrelated babies (someone in her family also had chins that they had bred). I paid $200 for both standards, a few weeks worth of food, some dust, and the really tall superpet cage with plastic shelves. I didn't think it was too bad of a price, considering the stuff was in decent shape and the chins were only 4 or 5 months old. Of course she sexed them wrong and I didn't know any better, so a few weeks later I realized they were male and female and quick ran out to buy another cage.

I've since learned my lesson and purchased my 3rd chin from a breeder. She wasn't handled as much as the CL chins but she is far more mild-mannered and even-tempered than the other two, which I'm sure is partly due to her genetics.

I would get another chin off CL if the perfect situation came up...but I would prefer to get another from a breeder like I did with Raven - far less guessing and wondering! Peace of mind really is priceless sometimes.

Rescued my first two cl chins two days ago. It was actually a response to my own ad though, looking for a female chin to adopt. A gentleman emailed me saying he needed to get rid of his chins ASAP. I asked about just adopting the female, not realizing they had been housed together. He was going to take the male to the humane society if both were not adopted. He also had someone else interested that would take both the next day. He didn't want anything for them. He actually drove over 40 miles to meet me. He said his brother was allergic to the chins, and they had had them both a week. I kinda brushed off that she might be pregnant because the male was so young. Got them home and separated. Had already ordered a cage. Was showing my mom the female when I thought I felt something kick. We had babies the next morning. I had to cancel my cage order and order a new cage that was baby proof. Mom and kits are doing well, but I did ask the person I got them from for contact info from the first owner. I want info on the chins I got.They actually paid this person for the chins. I'm angry at the original owner. Selling a chin who was due any day!?. I would have had no clue what to do if it wasn't for this forum :) So I guess technically I got five Chins for free :eek:p

I think it also really depends on the seller. I have seen chins on cl that are in horrible condition, but I have also seen ones that are very well taken care of.

I actually just got a 6mo old male mosaic via craigslist. The guy was very nice and knowledgeable. He had rescued two chinchillas at different times and kept them in separate cages. He was told they were both males but one ended up being a female. So he went and got the male neutered and waited the appropriate amount of time before putting them together in the same cage.

Well apparently his male bent the rules, lol, because thats how my lil guy came to be, whoops. So technically he was an accident, because the guy had no intention of breeding them and tried taking the necessary steps. And he said he wanted to find the little guy a home otherwise he would neuter him as well, but he said he would rather not get him neutered if he didnt have to.

His rescue chins had the right cage, all the right supplies, and were eating the right food. And he was asking a very decent price ($100), I didnt even haggle with him because I felt the price was very reasonable.

So it goes to show you that not all craigslisters are scum (but many are, lol)

Hey guys just a little update. As most of you did guess right I didnt get him and she ended up emailing today (how ever long it is now) offering to sell him for 100 for everything. Of course now I dont remember what he looks like and am a little apprehensive to purchase him mostly because of my mom. She just got new shelves for her office, so now he wouldnt be able to be quarantined. Apparently people knocked some sense into her though if she is going down to 100.

Actually just solved the quarantine problem: My boyfriend is willing to let him stay at his house for the month. he has no other pets and is home a lot and said he wouldnt get attached because hes not a big chinchilla person. he likes guinea pigs more. So now just decisions decisions...Ill have to meet the little guy too. My intentions would be to eventually put him in Ernie's cage so hes gotta be friendly. Do you guys know what I should look out for which would tell me he would not be a good pairing chin?

I bought my chin on CL! I do not regret it. I saved her from a semi-neglectful home. She only cost $130 total and along with her, I got a big cage, a travel cage, enough dust that will last me a year, two huge bags of hay and two bags on wood shavings, toys, a hideaway, fleece, water bottle, food bowl, food that lasted 3 months, treats and a wheel!! Such a good deal and I love my little Chilly :)

Yes!!!

I recently got a 3 year old black male off of craiglist. You can easily negotiate prices, especially if no one else is bidding. $300 is too much. The girl I adopted from was asking $150 and i got her down to $50. & The whole "too much for a standard" I'm reading is BS. Every chin has the same value. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I got my old man of Craigslist. He's 10 and I got him and all his stuff for free. I love him to bits and he was obviously loved well beforehand, just not by people who were super educated.

My baby girls were from Craigslist. We got them a year ago and they were in far better condition than if we had gotten them from petsmart *shudder* I really think it just depends on the previous owner. They were also mistakes. The owner was amazing and told us if we had to rehome the chins to contact them and they would take them back. I'm really glad for these "mistakes" though.:hug2:

I bought 2 black velvet brother chins off Of Craig's list for 200$ with a decent cage and supply. Unfortunately the friendliest brother died from cancer about 6 weeks later. The older brother is doing good though. 300$ is way to much. During my search for my chins I came across a lot of over priced posts. Asking so much for a chin In a tiny cage. It's crazy. I'm sure the lady will go down in price once she realizes she's asking to much money

CL isnt the issue. Its just the ppl that tend to use it. Theirs a higher probability that youll find ppl that dont know anything; keeping them in bad conditions, or back yard breeders. But it doesnt mean that you wont find good people there. And everyone in between.

- My second chin Sophie i got off craigslist.

Back