Importing Angoras??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice full page ad on the newest issue of MCBA Magazine! I'm not sure I would be selling them so soon. Especially if I only have two. What if they don't produce? Rofl that would be funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you have to look back at the last 15 years of market. The big breeders thought the small pet breeders were just a phase and that has not been the case. Instead the big breeders are the ones phasing out. Yes, there are still fur ranchers. But those of us who sell mostly to pet buyers don't see a huge demand for standards, most people want colors. Soon it may be locken haired chins that are the draw. But like with sapphires, I'll wait to see how healthy the lines are, etc. And soon enough, those that bought and imported them will be having their own offspring just like those of us with the Blue Diamonds will, and price will come down and hopefully the stress will diminish for the animals.

It's likely more dangerous driving a chin across the country than flying it to another country. Do you really think someone spending thousands of dollars on a chinchilla wouldn't want the animal delivered safely ? Furthermore do you think that one of the most knowledgeable if not the most knowledgeable chinchilla breeders in the world wouldn't have the foresight to take the proper precautions and develop a process for safely shipping animals overseas, especially since they are being sold for thousands of dollars? It's just bad business to ship dead multi-thousand dollar chinchillas to Europe and China.

Chinchillas can certainly die from stress factors, but since these aren't, perhaps the amount of stress everyone is speculating about is actually being exaggerated.

I guess the point is being missed here by those that have a economic interest in these chinchillas, Oh well, good luck with it.

It's likely more dangerous driving a chin across the country than flying it to another country. Do you really think someone spending thousands of dollars on a chinchilla wouldn't want the animal delivered safely ? Furthermore do you think that one of the most knowledgeable if not the most knowledgeable chinchilla breeders in the world wouldn't have the foresight to take the proper precautions and develop a process for safely shipping animals overseas, especially since they are being sold for thousands of dollars? It's just bad business to ship dead multi-thousand dollar chinchillas to Europe and China.

Chinchillas can certainly die from stress factors, but since these aren't, perhaps the amount of stress everyone is speculating about is actually being exaggerated.

Round trip from the US to Europe and back is stressful and ANYTHING. Wether it is a human, dog, chinchilla......ANYTHING. If I am going to spend thousands of dollars on chinchillas. I myself would be flying them 1st class!! People start seeing $ signs and lose all track of mind. I myself as a breeder put the animals safety And well being fist! I don't do it for the money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roll the dice...it is all a gamble... Even with regular chins here on US soil... Each one is a gamble in and of itself that is why I won't pay crazy outrageous high prices pr. animal. A couple hundred for something good yes but not like $500+. There are soooo many factors that could go wrong. What if it doesn't breed/slow to breed etc., what if it dies, amongst MANY other things....

Since Lynn is not a fan of the forum, I thought I would speak on her behalf.

She has desired to have the Angora chinchilla for a very long time. She would have gladly paid for several and picked them up in person had they been available in the United States. And had said that to me on several occasions.

I know her to be a lover of animals. Her dogs, cats and chinchillas are very well taken care of and are as happy as could be expected with this person of good character.

CC, while I know your unhappy with the airline shipping. Perhaps it is time to let the dead dog lie.

It seems like a lot of hassle for a animal that cant be graded for quality or of questionable health due to the major shipping. Ive had chins die shipping them and it was just a few states much less international travel. If people have money and dont mind wasting it they are welcome to do whatever they please. I just dont see the point since it will only have a pet market and a slim one at best due to the pricing. I would just buy chins directly from europe instead of double shipping them.

Surely the person has weight the pros and cons and has looked at all the possiblities available to them at the time for animals and safe travel for these chins.

If one wants something and chooses to spend their money on it, it is not a waste! No more than buying make-up that is animal tested!! (since we are talking stress on animals and price. Good make-up does not go for cheap)

If the hassle is worth it to them, what do we care if they choose to go there.

The point; may be that they are up to a challenge that others not, willing to go in a direction that others are not. Maybe they are bored with safe.

May it be for the pet market, if that is where they want to go, then more power to them.

It is their choice and truely is no business of ours as to What, Where, When, Why. And is obvious to me they have answered those questions for themselves and decided for a go.

Not everyone is in it for money!!

My wish for this person only great success in their project.

Last edited:
Back