Hedgehog stopped eating

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houserc_05

I have a little male hedgehog named diesel and have had him for about a year now...he's always been my little runner and will eat all of his food every night until recently....I bought him a new wheel, some new cat food, and even a bigger cage. At first he wouldn't come out of his bed and try out the wheel (I figured it was just all overwhelming for him at first) but within the week he began running on his new wheel nightly. However, when I switched foods he ate it at first but then stopped....so I switched back to the cat food I know he liked previously and he refuses to even touch it....it's been about one to two weeks now since he ate his cat food...I had to hand feed him meal worms, cottage cheese, and some vegetable baby food the other afternoon....I'm not sure what to do because he won't eat and his physical activity levels have dropped a little bit too....

Immediate at-home thoughts: bump the temp in his cage a bit, stop feeding cottage cheese (hedgies are lactose intolerant); feed him wet cat food instead of the cottage cheese.

What is his weight/what has it been? How many grams has he lost?

How much has he been eating & drinking? What does the output look like - same amount of poop? Less? How about the consistency - any change there?

Ultimately, though, this much of a behavior change, I'm thinking a vet visit might be a good idea. It's possible, that change in his food and the new wheel is making him behave differently (ie, reject new food/then reject old food; spend time wheeling instead of eating) and he'll come around. But it's also possible there's something bigger going on like a tooth issue that's putting him off any hard food and onto soft food - and you'll need a vet to help with that.

Back