Introducing Treats to One-Food Hedgie

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tansy

We have a new hedgehog who is 8-months-old, and apparently, though clean and healthy, was not really pampered. We'd like to introduce some variation in her diet for health and enrichment, but she doesn't seem to recognize or have any interest in other foods. We've tried mealworms and a apple bits with no munching; she only used the apple for self-annointing. She just loves her kitty kibble. Is there a good method to introduce new foods, or is there some food that a hedgie finds irresistible?

Depending on how new she is to you, it's probably a good thing that she's not trying all sorts of new foods yet. If you're still in the first couple of weeks, I'd keep her on as similar a diet as she was on before she came to live with you to help ease her transition -- unless, of course, her previous diet was dangerous. What kind of kibble was she/is she now on?

That said... In terms of introducing new foods, the idea is to take it slow. Also seems like every hedgie is a bit different in terms of what they like -- not so different from humans, eh? Mealies are typically a bit hit; although I had one hedgie who ran away from them... literally. Many seem to enjoy squash and sweet potato. I had one who loved peas.

Some hedgies take to these foods rather quickly; others can take weeks, months, or years. Given that, I'd choose hedgie-safe fruits and veggies that you like to eat so that (1) you can have them if hedgie decides not to partake and (2) you can present them to hedgie on multiple occasions over the course of a very long time in case it happens to take half a year before she figures out that it's food and that she'd like to eat it. You can present the foods to her when she's out during play/snuggle time. Or you can leave them in a little dish near her kibble and water dishes over night.

Try one for several nights in a row. If she eats it and there are no adverse effects (super messy poops, etc...), then you can put it into her regular treat rotation. If she doesn't eat it, try it again several nights in a row a few weeks (or a month) later.... then maybe a month or so after that if she's still not interested.

Nice that she's licked and anointed with the apple. Perhaps cutting it into smaller pieces may help bridge the gap between tasting and eating? Or maybe she might like apples... just a different kind of apple? Soon enough, she'll have you running in circles to please her ;)

She came with a bag of kitten-formula Meow Mix. Thanks for all the great tips - she is brand new to us, so we're likely being overly enthusiastic parents!

Meow mix kittten... probably something you'll want to change. Again, not immediately since she's just made the big move from her old house to yours, but soonish. The kitten formula is too high in fat/calories for the vast majority of adult hedgies. And I'm not recalling the ingredients of meow mix off hand, but I know it's typically not one of the recommended brands nutritionally speaking. I'd suggest adding a small bit of a second kibble to her dish (starting with about 1/4 new to 3/4 old nd increse the proportion of new kibble to old kibble each week)... something a bit lower fat. Take a look at halo/spot's stew, blue buffalo, fromm, wellness, innova, and/or chicken soup for the cat lover's soul - the indoor, mature, healthy weight, or light varieties. I've spotted sample bags of wellness at pet suppliees plus on occasion... definitely nice when you can get a little bag like that to start out.

Back