are plants in the cage a horrid idea? they would have them in the wild...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acosully

Im not a first time hedgie owner, but its been a reeeally long time! I plan to spoil the heck of little Tiggy and want to make his cage really interesting for him. Already have a wheel, some hiding places and some toys to switch in and out. I was wondering if it was a bad idea to put a small plant in there. If not, are there any suggestions of good ones? Something that wouldn't be harmful if nibbled?

I am curious about this as well. would fake flowers & plants be ok? I was thinking it would be a something mine can hide under and play with.

For me it truly depends of a. Size of material for the fake plant, b. type of material, c. If they have an artificial perfume smell.
I would be cautious as to what you use if Hedgie can tear threads off or yank a plastic bit off and choke etc

As for real plants I suppose it could be done if you know what your doing. I know horticulture and can provide a sterile medium, as well as bleach wash a new plant or cutting which will go into the sterile medium.
keeping it 100% sterile and bug free would be what I would worry about.
Do not just buy a plant and put it in there it's got all sorts of fun mites, thrips, aphids, and others. Wether it's from inside a garden shop or outside in a garden center you can be sure to bring all kinds of bugs home to Hedgie.
Mites on hedgies are not at all fun.

I would suggest fake too, not only are there risks of parasites, you would also be risking it with pesticides, your hoggie wouldn't eat the plant directly, but a lot of the insects eat plantlife, which your hoggie would eat, thus ingesting the pesticide.

There are a wealth of fake plants out there these days, all of which could be suitable depending on your theme. :) (remember, you wouldn't find aph in the wild, therefore you can't base it on what they encounter "in the wild".)

sent on my Nexus 7
using XParent Purple Tapatalk 2

Back