Zilla Vegetable & Fruit Mix

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone -

New hedgie owner here. I've been lurking for a few days, and now decided since I pick up my little spike boy in 2 days, it's about time I ask a question that I've been pondering.

With regards to feeding your quill babies fruits and veggies, has anyone tried using the Vegetable and Fruit Mix by Zilla? It's a blend of sun-dried and freeze-dried veggies and fruits that we use at work for our critters as a topper to their actual food.

The ingredient list:
Bok Choy, Carrots, Zucchini, Green Beans, Peas, Apples, Bananas, Strawberries, Peaches, Pears, Mangos, Blueberries

Percentages:
Protein 7.4%
Fat 4.0%
Fiber 6.5%

I looked all over to see if this was good as a supplement, but haven't been able to find info on most of these ingredients. Thoughts and opinions are much appreciated!

Well, as an update, the question is no longer relevant to myself, because Dillinger has refused to eat it, haha. I even wet it and offered it to him in a separate dish, after trying it sprinkled dry over his regular Blue Buffalo and Innova blend -- still no dice. But, question still stands, any input on whether or not this may be a good supplement if I could get him to eat it?

Texture of some of the dried items is not ideal.
Stick to small bits of fresh Even then it takes some a few times of seeing it before trying it..

Dillinger is a wise hedgie. The freeze dried stuff doesn't seem to be a big hit with many hedgies and I know some people have reported problems with freeze dried crickets/mealies (causing blockages in digestion). I don't know if a similar problem might crop up with fruits & veggies... but probably better to be safe than sorry.

And, like melbur10 notes, small bits of fresh fruit and veggies are a good way to go. It may take a few times (to be read "maybe a year") of seeing it before he decides it's food that he'll try. Quick note: with the fruit - keep the pieces small and NO grapes. Grapes are bad.

Looks like everything in the ingredient list you posted is okay... just keep it fresh :)

Back