Food Mixture Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate to be repetitive and ask what seems like the same questions as everyone else, but I have yet to find a satisfactory answer. With Dillinger being my first hedgie, and myself having wanted a hedgie since I was about 8, I want to make sure I am feeding him correctly.

Dillinger is eating a blend of Sunseed, Vitakraft, and the breeder's own personal recipe. I know that the Vitakraft is a horrid food, but luckily every time I've gone to visit him and hand-fed him he turned up his nose at it. He has eaten the Sunseed. The ingredients on the Sunseed are only marginally better than those of the Vitakraft.

I plan on feeding him Blue Buffalo Indoor Health and Innova Low Fat.
But I read over in the FAQs section that your hedgie should be on a "staple" diet of hedgie food or something to that nature.

So, (my apologies for being over-literate) my question is:
Will Dill be okay on just the kitty food (to which I may possibly add a third at some point) or am I supposed to keep feeding hedgie food as well?

Thoughts and opinions appreciated. Thanks!

the kitty food= the hedgie staple diet ;)

we usually just refer to foods branded with 'hedgehog' food as bad,garbage etc lol ie the sun seed,vitakraft 'hedgehog diets'

both those foods(Blue Buffalo,Innova) you've mentioned are a part of my mix and well loved by my hedgie, and cat too :) its great your making the switch! i myself made the same food mistake with my very first hedgie years ago-every one starts some where!

Awesome. Thank you. Like I said, this is my first hedgie and I've wanted one since I was small, so I'm doing my best to do everything correctly. I brought him home today! It's been such fun to watch him run around his new home!

No problem! Hedgies can be fascinating to watch! My very first baby hogs would not stop climbing the cage walls.... That's when I found out I needed a lid on my cage LOL
After a few weeks I had to scrap the cage all together and just made a coroplast one instead :p
Have fun with your new little one!!

i know that it is to fascinated with the hedgies. I have 2 a male and a female. they are my first hedgies. I as well have wanted one since I was little. I just got my computer for school and I was thinking of setting it up and recording them while they play. I had to put more corplast on my females cage cause she was trying to climb out of her cage and my male likes to try to climb up the side. the sides are 8 inches high. my male Sonic has this fascination with climbing on top of his igloo. the food I feed with is innova senior cat food,simply nourish indoor cat turkey & oatmeal cat food, and nature recipe active adult salmon & brown rice cat food. the total protein is 34% and fat is 12.3%

Back