running poop?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sugargliderlove

Hedge Addict
I switched from pretty pet hedgehog food to natures recipe active adult salmon & brown rice cat food. The reason why I switched is that the main ingredient in the pretty pet was ground corn were as the natures recipe is salmon & the pet store I get my hedgehog food was out of it. the pet store was having problem ordering the food.I was told that it was better quality food for hedgehogs. I still have a little bit of the pretty pet food left, I have out some of it mixed into the new food in their food dishes. they will eat the cat food and leave the other food untouched. My female I have noticed that she has had runny poop. I do give my hedgehogs dried mealies every other night with their food.

Could it be cause of the switch of food?
Any other suggestions on food to mix with the nature recipe cat food is welcome.

Last edited:
Yes, any change in food often causes a bit of tummy upset and changes to poops. Even if you've gone from the worst food in the world (as if there was one "worst") to the very best food in the world (again, as if there was one "best"), the upset belly and messy poops happens.

To help out during her transition, I'd try two things -- you can go with one or both: sprinkle some acidophilus on her kibble; give her some unseasoned pumpkin. Baby food butternut squash or sweet potato also works if it's hard to find the unseasoned pumpkin -- usually, it's in cans in the baking aisle.

Since you've just added one kibble food to the mix, I'd stick with it until her poops even back out again, then try adding another one in. My thought is, if you've feeding Nature's Recipe Salmon, then get a little variety by adding in something from a different company with a different meat...maybe chicken, duck, or turkey.

My hedgies have seemed to do well with Halo (check out their grain free and sensitive varieties), Spot's Stew, Blue Buffalo, Fromm, and CSCLS -- though they changed CSCLS from nice X's to pucks that my crew said "no" to.

thank you for the advice smhuffleouff. I am think Ill try chicken. Salmon and chicken combinations sounds like a good mix. other opinions are always welcome.

Back