Wheel

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chik_lets0715

(To get all the details on this wheel unortunately you need to look at both links) Anybody use this wheel for their hedgie? Do they even fit? If you haven't used it do you think it will work for a hedgie. In the second link it mentions hedgehogs and large rats (I'm assuming it will be bigger than my girl). I would really appreciate any opinions on it. I live in canada and it's not a cheap wheel, especially when you add shipping on. But if it will work I'll pay it in a second
http://www.exoticnutrition.com/2988989.html

The dimensions for the holes are on this link:
http://www.exoticnutrition.com/pdwodo01.html
(hopefully these links work)

Don't use those. Those are wodent wheels. They are notoriously hard to clean. Since hedgehogs poop and often pee on their wheels it gets trapped inside with them, then you have to take the wheel apart to clean it daily. Plus the one with the sand paper is a huge no no. You'll end up with a blood wheel if you use sand paper.

If you want a good wheel look at Larry's wheels, he has a couple of ads in the classifieds section. I don't have one, but I've seen them, and many have used them. I inspected one very closely at a hedgehog show and they look to be very well made.

Thankyou for your reply, The reson I was looking at this kind of wheel is for the nail trimming aspect. I would only leave the sand paper part on for a night when her nails get long. She currently has one of those saucer wheels http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3155602
which I have attached an odometer attached too (she did not like that), I didn't think she was running much, which is why I got it. And now I know that either the odometer isn't working like it should or she really isnt running much. I don't know if she doesn't like her wheel (I've heard mixed reviews on the saucer) or her nails are bothering her (major batttle to cut her nails, and I never get the chance to actually look at them to properly see). I got her last september and I love her so much, but she has me so confused!

Sand paper just doesn't work for that. Several have tried and ended up with blood feet. The problem is that hedgehogs do not run on their nails, they run on the pads of their feet.

Will she let you trim her nails during a bath? Some are so distracted by the evil bath that they will let you trim their nails.

That makes perfect sense, thanks for your input, I definetly will not be buying it. If we cut them when she is in the water she will try curling up in a ball, and obviously that is not ok. It takes two of us, one to hold her the other to grab a foot and snip. I have decided I might be part of the problem becuase I find I get very anxious about the whole thing and I know animals can sense it, I just can't relax.

Do you play with her feet? Try touching them nightly, and doing "test" runs. Basically going through the motions of clipping without actually doing any clipping. It can help you get more comfortable with her movements, and her move comfortable with being held and her feet touched.

I'll be more persistant/ consistant with playing with her feet. I will admit I don't do it enough. I love her to bits, but I do get discurged sometimes. I'm only human and a first time hedgie owner. I spent hours every night doing research, but nothing truly prepares you for one till you have one. Having said that I do not regret my decsion for a second, so please don't think I'm saying that

You sound like an owner that just needs a little encouraging.

What works for many, doesn't work for all. I am really good with trimming nails, however, I still run across the occasional hedgehog that makes me step back, and try a new approach.

Hedgehogs will teach you a few things... great rewards come from being patient, don't give up hope/be persistent, and to be creative in order to out smart a stubborn hedgehog.

If you didnt live in Michigan I'd pay you to do it...maybe I can send her through FedEx...
I'M ONLY JOKING!!!! thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it

Just wanted to say we had a really good night tonight. She let me touch her tummy and feet with minor huffles before she stuck up her quills and crouched down to protect herself. It's a step in the right direction (not sure why tonight was suddenly good, maybe it was my attitude). Thanks!

you know what works awesome with all animals?? sing-song everything you say to them softly as you go about whatever it is you are doing with them. if you're singing, you can't be holding your mouth stiff. if you can't hold your mouth stiff, the rest of you can't stiffen (including your mind/behaviour/demeanor). :))

Back