Should I be concerned?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACohan

I just picked my baby hedgie up from the breeder on Saturday, she dosnt seem to be eating much the last two nights she was been home (think 5 or less pieces of kibble a night) I know she is little, but is that enough food?
Its Spikes Delight if that makes a difference and they same food the breeder was feeding her.

My Dribbles I got when he was already several months old and he was a chunk and I had to limit his food sometimes, never had to worry about him not eatting enough that is for sure

Thank you in advance

Sometimes when they first come home they are a bit scared and will go off their food. Have you tried putting her kibble in her bed with her? Sometimes doing that will help encourage them to eat.

How old is she?

She will be 9 weeks tomorrow. She is still pooping a lot, seems very ok with being handled (warms up within 5 min and I have never seen her completely ball up) she even lets my toddler pet her (while I hold her and very closely supervised of course).
She seems perfectly alright in every other way. I figured it was just changes. Just didnt want to let the problem get out of hand before I did something about it

If you are not already, weigh her daily. Watch her weight, if she is dropping too much, you may need to find something else she will eat (try RC Baby cat). However, I'd try the in the bed trick. I have a 6 month old I took in as a rescue a few weeks ago. She had several nights where she didn't eat any of her kibble at night. But if I put it in bed with her she would eat most of it.

Well crud, apparently she either knew she was making me worry, or she wanted make me a liar, I just peaked in on her, she had come out and ate about 22 pieces of kibble.
Sorry to waste your time!

Hehe. You just have to love hedgehogs. They like to do that to you... make you worry a lot, then everything is fine. Nothing wrong. Hey at least she is eating!

Back