Food question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayyne

Well I switched Percy from Vita-Exotics hedgehog food, which I know is terrible for him, to Innova reduced fat cat food. I feed my dogs Innova, so I thought it would be a good choice. I know it's high quality food. Anyway, it gives him diarrhea. I tried mixing the old food with the new stuff just to get his tummy used to it, but that darned hedgehog digs all the cat food out and will only eat that! I tried really mixing it together and he dumped his food bowl, eating all the cat food and leaving the old stuff. His poops have solidified a little bit but it's still a lot grosser and stinkier than before. Is this normal, and when can I expect his tummy to balance out?

How long has it been? Some hedgehogs are just too smart and know a better food when it is offered to them and they will do a fast change. It can upset their tummy for a while.

If you haven't already, get some acidolphilus from your local health food store, and sprinkle some on his kibble. Or if he likes baby foods (like baby food sweet peas), mix some of the acidolphilus in that so that he eats it all. Acidolphilus is a probiotic and it can help settle his tummy faster.

Yup, I too have had a few who just swap over fast (tired of starving I suppose). Acidolphilus is great and will help. If you can weigh him every day, that would be good too (make sure he isn't getting dehydrated and it really is only an adjustment issue).

Just wanted to follow up on my question...I switched him from innova to Evo and in one feeding his poops were back to normal! I guess he just couldn't handle the innova formula.

Back