Travel Carriers

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalandra

I'm in the market to buy a new travel carrier. While looking at carriers in the store today I started to wonder what others are using. So what works for you? Is there a carrier that has a really awesome feature that others do not, making it your #1 choice? What model of travel carrier are you using? Why did you pick it? Price? Features? Etc.

The ones I have currently are a nylabone collapsible carriers that have 2 doors Side and top. The top door is the only one I ever use. It has plenty of ventilation, is hard sided and seat belts into the backseat of car quite nicely. Sadly these don't appear to be made anymore as nylabone has change its design.

I have this one with the top opening. http://www.firstrax.net/product.php?b=1&id=6

It is great and I use it more than any other carrier. The top door will open from the left, right, or can easily be taken right off. Petsmart here used to sell them but haven't had any in for a while.

Price is about $35 Cdn

Last edited:
I have a bird carrier and the chin carries that I use. Only bad thing about the chin carriers are they are metal and rather cold so I fill that baby up with fleece for her if I am transferring her anywhere.

I have a regular cat carrier. I use blankets and bags and liners to make it nice and comfy.

I don't know what brand my carrier is, but I would definitely recommend one with a top door. It just makes things easier.

Nancy, that one looks pretty cool. Top doors are an absolute must in my book, but having one that you can open either direction or remove would be very handy.

Yes, so far, it is by far the best hard sided carrier that we have. I also have http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=327&pf_id=5536 This one is great for long drives and a standard sized bucket wheel will fit in it so could be used as an overnight or emergency cage. It buckles easily and securely into the vehicle and can remain buckled in and you can still open the front door. This carrier is great too but it is very large and heavy so not something you want to carry around very long.

I have a Marchioro carrier... the "clipper" version - I think the "tonga," but the top looks a tad different than pictured here: http://www.marchioro.it/en/sezione_cani_gatti_trasportini.html
Maybe it was a different model year? I found it at a Pet Supplies Plus.

What I like about it is the size and that, while there isn't a top door, you can just take the whole top off by unlatching the side locking mechanisms... which proved rather convenient when someone hurt her leg. I think I'd have difficulty reaching through the top doors on the ones I've seen to pick up an injured hedge. I also like that it's big enough to fit a snugglesafe with room to spare.

Well. I'm once again in the market for a new carrier and again started thinking, is there anything new and interesting out there?

I started looking for something that could be divided. I can find soft sided carrier that have a divider down the middle so you can travel two small dogs/cats (figure that would work with 2 hedgehogs), but I haven't seen any hard-sided like this. Anyone seen such a beast?

The closest I've seen is a pic where someone took a regular hard sided carrier -- the kind where you can separate the top half from the bottom half, separated top from bottom, cut out some coroplast to create a ceiling to the bottom half, zip tied the contraption together in several places, then put the top and bottom back together with the new floor/ceiling in place.

I'm not sure where I recall seeing that though :(

Back