throwing up/spitting out food

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilikefire12

I've noticed for the last little bit my hedgie has either been throwing up or spitting out some of his food. I only notice it every so often. Thought maybe he was having a hard time chewing it, so I watched him eating after I noticed and it doesn't seem to be having a hard time chewing or anything. I thought maybe it was the type of food I was feeding him, which was Purina One. I switched to Royal Canin Digestive Comfort 38 just to see if it would help or not. I believe it has too much fat in it, but I just wanted to see if he was maybe having a hard time digesting food. It seemed to work for a little bit and then he started doing it again. I know he's still eating most of his food though, he doesn't seem to be losing any weight (really need to buy a scale), and his poops are normal and everything.

Does this maybe seem like he's having a tooth issue or maybe I need to put some water in his food to soften it up or something?

When Quinn started loosing his teeth he would chew on a piece for a while and the spit it out. The piece still would look whole or mostly. What does the spit out food look like? I mean is it a whole or mostly whole piece, chewed up and wet, or does it look like vomit?

It might be his teeth or a jaw issue if it seems like he isn't chewing it up. You can try to take a spoon and try to get your hedgie to bite it so you can try to see if there are missing teeth or gum irritation. I would definitely recommend a vet visit just to make sure nothing major is going on. Until then, you can try wetting his food. What I do, and I came to this after some trial and error, is I put Quinn's food in his dish like normal. Then I fill the dish with water and let it sit a few minutes. After it starts to look mushy I pour off the water except for a little bit in the bottom and sprinkle acidophilus powder from an opened capsule over the top for his tummy. He does well with it and is keeping weight on. FYI if you do try wetting his food. The extra water made Quinn have some very loose and wet poops that he couldn't control for a while until he got used to the wet food.

Back