New Diet for Overweight Hedgie

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucksAngel28

Ashley
When I took Maserati to the vet for her most recent check-up, the vet said she weights 550 g and is overweight. She has a large cage (2'x4') with a dig box, tunnels, stuffed animals to play with, and a wheel. She is 4 years old now and doesn't use her wheel as much as she used to, but she still does use it quite a bit.

Anyway, she is currently on this mix of food, which has worked nicely until now, but the vet suggested that I use "hedgehog food" and meal worms instead of her current diet. This was her first visit to this new vet, who seemed somewhat, but not exceptionally, knowledgeable about hedgehogs, and Maserati was the oldest hedgehog he had seen, so I'm not really sure what to do. He didn't suggest a specific brand either.

So... any suggestions as to what food I should use to help her lose some weight?

When she curls into a ball can she still curl up tight? 550g is kinda big but I have heard of larger hedgies who are that large or larger and are not overweight. It depends on the hog. If she can curl up tight she is not overweight.

Oh, yes, she can curl up tight. Hissing and curling in a ball are kinda her thing. ;) I wish there was a forum on what food to use specifically for weight loss. I don't want her to get fatty liver disease. BUT, she is 4, so I worry about her as she gets older and just want her to be happy and healthy (which she is so far, knock on wood). So, I guess I won't worry too much about a little extra fluffiness as long as she can still comfortably roll into a ball.

I've had vets tell me a hedgehog was over weight solely based on her weight. She was a 666 gram hedgehog. She was not over weight at all, she was just a large hedgehog.

Is she still active? If she is still active, can fully curl up and doesn't have large fat pockets in her arm pits, even if she carries a little extra weight, I wouldn't change a thing. I like a little extra on them, especially when they get older, as it gives you some "wiggle" room should they get sick. Of course that is my opinion :).

Back